Waiting for the birth of a baby is one of the most amazing periods in the life of every young family. Many mothers at this time cardinally change, the maternal instinct is activated, they are filled with a happy expectation of the birth of a new life. Women during pregnancy are very sensitive to any changes in their body, often experiencing a change in the regime of the day, the correctness of the development of the fetus or uncomfortable sensations. Quite often the question arises: why is the baby in the womb hanging? With what it can be connected and is it dangerous to hiccup for the little girl?
- What causes hiccups in the fetus
- What does the hiccups mean every day
- Signs of hiccups and sensation of the mother
- Tips for pregnant women
Why does hiccups begin in the fetus?
Hiccups are a rhythmic contraction of the muscle that is responsible for the respiratory process and lies between the thoraciccell and abdominal cavity - diaphragm. It arises as a consequence of irritation of the nerve center of the human brain, which is responsible for the activity of the respiratory septum. This process is built on a subconscious level and is one of the innate reflexes.
Most women begin to feel the hiccup of a child in the last trimester of pregnancy, but some more sensitive moms can feel this much earlier, from the 16-18 weeks, when the fetus first begins to move. Other pregnant women may not even know that their baby is hiccuping.
Modern science can not unequivocally answer this interesting question and therefore distinguishes three possible reasons why a baby is in the womb of a mother:
- The child is actively preparing to be born, learns to breathe and suck on his own. This version indicates that the hiccup is useful, since it helps the carapace to properly adjust the process of breathing, vigorously for the first time to inhale and work out swallowing movements. In the future, such training will help him get enough breast milk.
- Hiccups occur while the baby is swallowed by the amniotic fluid. The child usually swallows such an amount of amniotic fluid that is easily excreted in the urine, but in the case when it gets into the body of the crumbs gets more, the process of active excretion of surpluses, that is, hiccups, begins. Also, hiccough may be associated with the nutrition of the mother, especially after eating sweets. This is due to the fact that all children like the sweet taste, and they try to swallow as much as possible amniotic fluid, get it in excess and then remove the unnecessary with the help of hiccups.
- Insufficient amount of oxygen, which receives the fetus through the umbilical cord or placenta, is called hypoxia for its vital activity and proper development. This condition is dangerous for the child, has many unpleasant consequences, if not started on time. However, most experts argue that this theory is unreasonable: to date, there is no practical evidence that hiccups clearly indicate hypoxia. Nevertheless, pregnant women should carefully react to changes in the activity of their baby in the womb.
In the first two cases, moms should not worry, since the main cause of hiccups is a baby's good appetite. Hence, it develops correctly, receives a sufficient amount of food and is actively preparing for birth.
What the hiccups testifies every day
The hiccup itself is a harmless and painless process in those cases when it appears with a certain periodicity and does not cause unpleasant sensations in the mothers. However, there are cases when the baby hiccups daily and sometimes it seems that even without stopping. In such a situation it is necessary to consult a gynecologist who observes pregnancy.
If a baby often hiccups and such a process is accompanied by a clear increase in activity or, conversely, a decrease in the number of his movements, this may indicate an oxygen deficiency of the fetus. In addition, an important symptom of the development of hypoxia is a decrease in the heartbeat in a baby or a bradycardia, its presence can only be determined by a specialist.
To confirm or refute the diagnosis of hypoxia, the doctor will listen with a stethoscope, heartbeat of the fetus, prescribe a cardiotocogram and an ultrasound examination with dopplerometry. These studies are absolutely harmless for both the baby and the mother.
Cardiotocogram, or abbreviated KTG, provides an opportunity to determine the number of uterine contractions and cardiac strokes in the fetus, that is, how high is the activity of the baby, and ultrasound examinationwith dopplerometry( ultrasound) is conducted to find out how well the supply of blood to the blood vessels of the fetus, the work of his heart.
90% of pregnancies with such symptoms do not confirm the presence of oxygen deficiency in the child, but in case of detection of the problem the doctor will prescribe appropriate treatment in time.to table of contents ^
Signs of children's hiccups and mother's sensation
Infrequent hiccup of the fetus in the mother's abdomen, which is not accompanied by an increase in its activity, is a natural development process. Her appearance is an absolutely normal stage of the baby's life and there is nothing to worry about. A crumb does not experience discomfort or pain, on the contrary, the presence of hiccups is a sign of the correct healthy development of the nervous system.
The duration of the hiccough is absolutely individual for each child. Its duration can vary from a few minutes to an hour, hiccough may not be at all. In fact, everything depends only on the sensitivity of the pregnant woman, sometimes the tremors are so insignificant that they are almost impossible to sense.
Some mothers do not know how to understand that their baby is hiccuping, and not just being pushed. In fact, a woman just unconsciously understands that this is a hiccup.
Pregnant women describe their feelings during the child's hiccups differently, it can be a twitching of the fetus at a particular place in the abdomen with a certain rhythm or tremors for a long period of time. Some compare it to the ticking of the clockwork or a monotonous knock, while others claim that the hiccups respond with a pulsation in the abdomen. Sometimes it appears in the form of spasms and vibrations in the left or right side of the belly of a pregnant woman.
The manifestations themselves do not cause unpleasant sensations, but they can distract, irritate or prevent sleeping future mothers. Someone makes them very worried about why a baby is hunted in the womb, whether it is possible to somehow help him or avoid this condition.
In fact, such a picture is considered absolutely normal and should not cause alarming questions if the process is repeated 1 to 7 times a day and lasts no more than 1 hour.to the table of contents ^
Tips for pregnant women
When the hiccups are normal without obvious pathologies, you do not need to do anything, since the child feels completely comfortable, but sometimes regularly repeated shocks prevent a woman from getting enough sleep and rest. Since during 9 months pregnant women constantly experience discomfort during sleep, the hiccup of the baby can slightly overshadow the life of future mothers.
There are several ways that can help to calm a hiccup child:
- The first and, perhaps, the most effective way is a walk in the fresh air. This pastime saturates the body with oxygen, blood begins to circulate faster in the body, and the baby calms down.
- If the baby's hiccups are disturbed at night, you will not go for a walk. Then you can do some simple physical exercises or just change your posture: get up, sit down or lie down. Also, experts advise you to take a knee-elbow position for a couple of minutes.
- It is not necessary to lay down on sweets before going to bed, it is better to drink an oxygen cocktail, which can be purchased at any pharmacy or some cafes.
- Sometimes a child starts hiccough because he is frozen, you can try to cover your stomach or put on a warm bathrobe.
- You need to do various breathing exercises, for example: hold your breath, count to 6, take a breath, then continue counting to 10 and exhale.
In some cases, even the use of all these methods in a complex does not lead to the desired result, then the future mother will only have to accept the situation and enjoy the healthy development of her baby. There is one general advice for all the uncomfortable and unsettling situations that can arise during pregnancy: gently stroke the belly and gently talk to the baby. This helps to calm the mother and child, gives warmth to communication, gives the crumb to feel love and care while still in the womb.
Do not be surprised if after the birth of a baby will continue to hiccup. This is normal, because children rarely change their habits, and for several months a frequent hiccup will be absolutely natural for him.