Abortion pills nowadays are very popular, as many women face the problem of unwanted pregnancies because of not always effective contraception or promiscuity in sexual life. Also, many couples often neglect the methods of protection inadvertently. As a result, most of the unplanned pregnancies end with their artificial interruption. If a woman has made such a decision, then the question arises up to what term is medical abortion and what tablets are used for this.
- How long
- is used
- List Mifepristone( Agesta, Miuropristone, Genalele, Gynerostil, Gynepristone)
- Misoprostol( Myrolyut, Saitotec)
- Consequences of
- What to do after
Can I get pregnant after
How long do I use
InterruptUnwanted pregnancy with abortive pills is allowed up to a period of 6 weeks( 42 days), counting from the date( 1 day) of the last menstruation. However, the effectiveness of medical abortion is higher, the shorter the gestation period( 3-5 weeks).If the period exceeds the allowable, the tablets will not work anymore, moreover, they are forbidden to take to avoid negative consequences for the health of the mother and fetus.
The most commonly used medicamentous abortion in the complex are 2 drugs - Mifepristone and Misoprostol. It is believed that these are the best pills for abortion.
Indications for their use are:
- interruption of uterine pregnancy in early periods( up to 42 days);
- induction of labor in term of full term pregnancy.
Mifepristone( Agesta, Miuropriston, Genale, Gynestril, Gynepristone)
Produced in tablets;active ingredient is mifepristone.
After taking the drug, the body blocks progesterone production and opens the cervix. As a result, the fetal egg does not attach to the walls of the uterus and dies from lack of nutrition and oxygen.
The medicine must be taken only in a medical facility under the supervision of a doctor. For medical abortion, single 600 mg Mifepristone is prescribed, 1-1.5 hours after eating, with plenty of water. After taking the pill, the patient remains under the doctor's control for another 2 hours.36-48 hours after the ultrasound-control to increase the effect of a woman given to drink Misoprostol.to table of contents ^
Misoprostol( Mirolyut, Saitotec)
Produced in tablets;active substance - misoprostol.
The drug is a stimulator of the process of contraction of the uterus, which facilitates and accelerates the opening of the neck and facilitates the removal of contents from its cavity.
To interrupt pregnancy, a woman after 1.5-2 days after taking Mifepristone is given to drink 2 tablets of Misoprostol, then after 3 hours, the dose is repeated in the same dose. The whole process can be accompanied by cramping pains in the lower abdomen and bloody discharge. If a woman has vomiting, then taking the tablets should be repeated in the same dosage.
After 5-7 days, repeated ultrasound and clinical examination, if necessary, determine the level of chorionic gonadotropin to confirm spontaneous abortion. In the absence of effect from the use of drugs on the 14th day, vacuum aspiration is carried out to remove the remains of the fetal egg with further histological examination.to table of contents ^
- Severe abnormalities of the gastrointestinal tract, kidney and liver;
- allergy to steroid group drugs and prostaglandins;
- pregnancy for more than 6 weeks;
- uterine fibroids;
- high blood pressure, circulatory disorders;
- scar on the uterus after surgery;
- ectopic pregnancy;
- is an unconfirmed clinical pregnancy;
- of the blood clotting system;
- infectious and inflammatory diseases of the genitals;
- hemorrhagic disorders;
- treatment with anticoagulants;
- for smokers - age after 35 years;
- on the background of taking oral contraceptives or using an intrauterine device;
- continued treatment with corticosteroids;
- age to 18 years.
It is important to know that if a pregnant woman who has decided to have a medical abortion breastfeeds the baby, then she must cancel the feeding for up to 2 weeks from the time of taking the medicine.
Regardless of whichthe method of abortion( medically or surgically) was chosen, abortion is always a stress for the body.
The most safe of all methods is medication, but after it negative side effects may arise:
- aching pain in the lower abdomen;
- nausea, vomiting;
- allergic reaction to drug components;
- incomplete termination of pregnancy( partially fetal egg preserved in uterus);
- progression of pregnancy( no rejection of the fetal egg);
- increased blood pressure;
- abundant uterine bleeding.
What to do after
You can minimize adverse effects by following the following recommendations for 3-4 weeks after the abortion:
- Do not take a bath, swim in open water or go swimming.
- It is impossible to restrain the timely emptying of the intestine and bladder.
- Observe enhanced personal hygiene practices.
- Sexual abstinence. The uterine cavity is an open wound, on which any microorganisms brought from outside can reproduce. Therefore it is inadmissible not only to conduct sexual activity, but also penetration into the vagina of foreign objects, for example, with douching.
- Do not lift weights and do not overcool.
Can I get pregnant after
Abortion with abortive pills is a relatively safe method, as there is no surgical intervention in the woman's body.
This method has some advantages over others:
- does not injure the mucosa and cervix;
- there is no need to use anesthesia;
- there is no risk of infection of the genitals;
- can quickly become pregnant after an abortion, and the probability of infertility after the procedure is minimized;
- is accompanied by moderate pain.
Early medical abortion is the best way to terminate pregnancy in both nulliparous and congenital women, since in the future it does not affect reproductive function of the reproductive organs, and 1 month after the procedure the menstrual cycle is fully restored.