For several millennia, licorice root is used for medicinal purposes. Thanks to the universal healing properties, the plant is in demand not only in folk medicine, but also in modern pharmacology. Most often, the sweet root is used to combat viral diseases of the upper respiratory tract. But on treatment of a cough the useful properties of licorice are not limited.
- Chemical composition
- Therapeutic properties
- Water tincture
- Procurement and storage
The above part licorice contains essential oil, lipids, carbohydrates, carotene, polysaccharidesand saponins, but for therapeutic purposes only rhizomes are used.
The lacrimal root contains:
- organic acids;
- mineral and tanning agents;
- fructose, glucose, maltose;
- essential oils;
- higher fatty acids;
Therapeutic properties of
The licorice root has anti-inflammatory, expectorant, antiallergic, antispasmodic, laxative and diuretic properties, and also helps in the fight against a variety of common diseases.
- Licorice is used in the treatment of viral infections of the respiratory tract and bronchopulmonary system, namely, tonsillitis, bronchitis, pharyngitis, tracheitis, pneumonia and tuberculosis. It helps to cope with bacteria, viruses, microbes and inflammatory processes. Drugs based on licorice root dilute sputum, remove it from the lungs and bronchi, relieve cough.
- Effective properties of licorice root for colitis, gastritis with high acidity, ulcers and damage to the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract. Used in decoctions in combination with other herbs.
- Drugs based on licorice root treat inflammation of the kidneys, bladder, bile duct and liver disease.
- Licorice root is prescribed for obesity and diabetes.
- Broth from the root of licorice is used for hemorrhoids and constipation.
- Sweet root is used for active treatment of rheumatism, gout and joint diseases.
- The plant is able to improve well-being in case of loss of strength, fatigue and depression.
- Successfully used liquorice for allergic dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis.
- Licorice root is irreplaceable in the fight against gynecological problems. It facilitates the severe course of menopause in women and helps to get rid of heartburn and nausea during toxemia.
- Prepared licorice broths actively treat prostate adenoma in men.
- Useful substances that are contained in the licorice root, have a positive effect on the functioning of the circulatory system of the cardiovascular system, help to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood and prevent clogging of blood vessels.
- Licorice root is used for poisoning and radiation damage to the body. It is able to neutralize the effect of harmful substances and toxins.
There are many medicines based on licorice root - extracts, tablets, cough syrups, powders. In addition, in pharmacies you can buy a dry root, which is suitable for making infusions and broths.
In licorice based cosmetology, whitening and rejuvenating facial skin creams are made.to contents ^
The ready-made extract can be purchased at the pharmacy, but you can prepare yourself if necessary. Often it is used for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and respiratory tract, for the treatment of scars, dermatitis, herpes, pigment spots, caries. Mix in a glass container:
- 100 grams of ground licorice;
- 800 ml of water;
- 4 ml of ammonia( 10%).
Stir the mixture for 2 hours, then strain. Ideally, you should get a thick mass of dark color with a sweet taste.
You can extract syrup and tincture from the extract.
Syrup of licorice root is used for the treatment of colds, asthma, cough, gastritis and peptic ulcer. It has a pleasant sweetish taste, so it is convenient to give it to children.
For preparation it is necessary to mix:
- 5 grams of licorice root extract;
- 80 grams of sugar syrup;
- 10 grams of alcohol.
The prepared syrup should be stored in a refrigerator in a tightly closed container. Take syrup should be 3 times a day after meals, dissolving in a glass of water or tea for 5-10 ml of the drug.to contents ^
Decoction of licorice root helps with prostate adenoma, constipation and poisoning and diseases of the digestive system.
To make it, you need to pour 1 tablespoon of chopped root 200 ml of boiling water and put on a steam bath for 20 minutes. After cooling, drain the decoction and add pure water to it, so that the total volume becomes 200 ml. Take the broth should be 4-5 times a day after eating one tablespoon.to contents ^
Possesses anti-inflammatory properties, helps with gastritis, ulcers, arthritis, tumors, restores adrenal health.
For cooking, fry in a dry frying pan 2 teaspoons of licorice root. Then pour them 500 ml of boiling water and press for 6-8 hours. Take three to three times a day for 30-40 drops.to table of contents ^
Drugs based on licorice root have contraindications, so before using them, you should get expert advice to know exactly how to take licorice root in different situations.
The main contraindications for use:
- hypertension and hypertension;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- increased activity of the adrenal glands;
- bleeding disorder;
- acute heart failure;
- infertility and erectile dysfunction in men;
- individual intolerance;
- reception of hormonal preparations.
Only under the supervision of a doctor should take drugs from licorice to patients suffering from glaucoma and diabetes, and children under 12 years.
It is important to know that licorice removes potassium from the body, it is necessary to include rich food for this useful microelement( dried fruits, nuts, beans, sea kale) in its diet.to contents ^
Procurement and storage of
For domestic preparation of medicinal raw materials, it is necessary to select roots that have reached a length of at least 25 cm and a thickness of at least 1 cm. The root is cleaned from the ground, separated from the stem, washed and dried. Store raw materials in fabric bags in a dry, dark place.