Cough is a protective reaction of the body to a variety of irritants, damage, excessive pressure on the respiratory tract or the consequence of colds or other viral diseases. It can occur with prolonged loud talking or screaming, when crumbs enter the larynx or if there is a mechanical damage to the respiratory tract. Therefore, the use of antibiotics for the treatment of cough is not always justified.
- When appointing
- How to choose
- List for adults
- List for children
- When pregnant
- How to take
When you designate
First you need to determine the cause of the cough. If this phenomenon is recent, not very disturbing or easily docked by candies and cough-pill - antibiotics are not needed. Chronic cough with constant irritants( smoking, dry or dusty air in the room, lengthy conversations on the basis of professional activity) also requires not treatment with strong drugs, but lifestyle changes.
If coughing continues for a long time, accompanied by spasms, sputum, increased temperature and other serious symptoms, and is a secondary complication of bacterial infections, it is necessary to see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis and prescription of antibiotics.
How to choose
There are serious illnesses, the symptom of which is cough, for example, pneumonia, acute or chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis, tracheitis, pleurisy. The form of the causative agent of these diseases can be determined only by a doctor, by making an appropriate analysis of the patient's sputum for sensitivity to certain antibiotics. The purpose of a specific drug, which has an enhanced ability to fight with detected pathogens, will allow faster and more effective treatment.to contents ^
List of adults
In cases of coughing diseases for adults, the following groups of antibiotics are prescribed:
- Aminopenicillins, which destroy the cell membranes of bacteria-causing pathogens. These include Amoxiclav, Ampiox, Augmentin, Flemoxin Solutab.
- Cephalosporins have a large spectrum of action and efficacy against the bacteria resistant to the first group of antibiotics as compared to penicillins. They inhibit the growth and development of bacteria-pathogens, as well as damage the membranes of their cells. These are Cephalexinum, Cefazolinum, Cefuroxime, Cefotacim, Ceftriaxone, Cefepim.
- Macrolides are the least toxic antibiotics with a wide range of activities, so they are often prescribed to children. Their task is to destroy the protein in the cells of bacteria and prevent their reproduction. This group includes Azithromycin, Clarithromycin, Summed, Erythromycin.
- Fluoroquinolones are antibiotics of the widest spectrum of action, which are used in the most severe forms of diseases that cause coughing. They have good compatibility with other drugs, but they have a lot of side effects, and therefore are appointed exclusively by adults. With a cough of bacterial nature, they can be prescribed: Levofloxacin, Moxifloxacin, Norfloxacin, Ofloxacin, Sparfloxacin, etc.
List for children
The appointment of antibiotics in the treatment of pediatric cough is performed solely by the pediatrician and in extreme cases when it is not possible to cope with the problem by other means. This is due to the fact that antibiotics have a very negative effect on the growing children's body, and also quickly form resistance to therapeutic action. Therefore, in the future, if antibacterial treatment is necessary, doctors will be forced to use more and more powerful and harmful drugs.
The selection of an antibiotic against cough for children also depends on its nature( dry, wet, prolonged), as well as on the results of sputum analysis on a bacterial pathogen and resistance to a particular group of antibiotics. The main drugs for children:
- Penicillins - Augmentin and Flemoxin Solutab, Flemoklav Solutab, Amoxicillin.
- Cephalosporins - Pansef, Suprax, Cefazolin, Ixim.
- Macrolides - Summamed, Zinacef, Hemomycin, Macropen.
Most often, a cough during pregnancy is caused by bronchitis on a background of low immunity of female health in a delicate position. The process of treatment is complicated by the fact that the mobility of the diaphragm decreases markedly with the growth of the child and its place, and therefore the delay of mucus and sputum in the pulmonary ways prolongs the duration of the diseases. Antibiotics for bacterial causes of cough in pregnant women, as a rule, choose the most sparing and prescribed in minimal dosages.
In the first trimester of pregnancy, antibiotics are prescribed only in the most extreme cases, since they can cause a variety of pathologies in the formation of the fetus. At these times, you can use preparations of the penicillin group - Augmentin, and Flemoxin Solutab, Amoxicillin. From the second trimester, you can use cephalosporin group preparations - Ceftriaxone, Panzef, Suprax.
When coughing caused by acute bronchitis, women in the position can use local antibiotics that work directly in the airway, excluding penetration into the blood and through the placental barrier, for example, a spray of cough and sore throat Bioparox.
How to take
- Strictly by the hour, in orderthe necessary concentration of the substance was constantly present.
- Do not change the dosage. If after 24 hours there was no relief, you can not increase the dose, as well as reduce it in terms of what will work and it.
- Complete the full course( 5-7 days).Even with the complete disappearance of cough for 3-4 days, you can not stop taking the medication, otherwise the symptoms may return, and existing microbes will already gain resistance to the drug.
It is very important to understand that antibiotics are the drugs of the last choice. You can not prescribe yourself these medicines, because they have different applications, and also cause rapid addiction. This threatens with the fact that in case of real need in a particular group of drugs they will not have the desired effect due to the formed resistance to the antibiotic or its group.