Bright red cranberries not only pleases the eye with their color, they are also very tasty, and also have many useful properties. The use of cranberries will help the body resist colds, strengthen immunity and will charge vivacity and a dose of vitamins. Of course, the most useful berries will be in the summer, fresh, just ripped from the bush. But there are many ways to harvest cranberries for the winter, with minimal heat treatment or even without it, which will preserve the maximum of useful properties.
- Methods of preparing
- Drying oven
- cranberries, mashed with sugar
- preserves and jams cranberry
- pickled cranberries
- in own juice
- Cranberry juice
Methods of preparing
The presence of organic acids berriesallows you to easily store cranberries for a long time simply laying on the bottom of the box and leaving it in a dark place, but with this method the berries darken and lose shape. Therefore, more often cranberries are wetted: they fall asleep in a jar and pour cold water, putting oppression from above. Of course, berries are pre-sorted, removing spoiled and unripe specimens.
But there are more interesting and tasty ways of harvesting cranberries for the winter.
Drying in the oven
Prepared in this way, cranberries can be stored for up to three years, but from time to time, you need to sort through and get rid of darkened berries, which can cause damage to the entire billet. In order to dry the cranberries, you need to perform a number of simple actions:
- to sort, rinse and dry berries;
- hold a couple of minutes in a water bath or blanch in boiling water;
- is spread on a baking sheet in one row and dried in the oven at a temperature of no more than 45 degrees;
- when the berries dry a little, you can increase the temperature to 70 degrees and keep in the oven until they stop sticking to your hands;
- store dried cranberries should be in tissue pouches or a glass jar.
Freezing is the simplest and most popular way to store products in their original state. Cranberries are no exception.
To freeze it, it is enough to lay out the clean dried berries in food containers and put them in the freezer. It is better to pack berries portionwise, because they are not subject to re-freezing. You can store such a frozen product for 24 months.
Cranberries, wiped with sugar
This recipe is called "Jam without cooking."This is the most useful way of making sweet delicacies from cranberries. Berries and sugar to prepare mashed cranberries are taken in the same proportions.
- Wash the cranberries and dry them well.
- Mix with sugar and crush a wooden tolstick. You can use a blender.
- Transfer the mass into sterile glass jars and tightly close with capron lids.
- Store in a cool place for up to 12 months.
To make the billet even more useful, sugar can be replaced with honey. Jam and cranberry jam
The most usual and favorite way to store berries for the winter. Sweet jam is a delicious way to combat colds and beriberi in winter. Jam can be prepared with the addition of other berries, citrus fruits and nuts. Shelf life is 2 years.
A simple recipe for cranberry jam:
- 1 kilogram of cranberries;
- 2 kilos of sugar;
- lemon peel;
- vanilla sugar.
- Pure berries to fall asleep in a pan and to fill with water.
- Put on moderate heat and simmer until cranberries start to boil.
- Add sugar, zest, add vanilla sugar.
- Cooking for another 20 minutes.
- Place in sterile glassware and cork.
The easiest way to prepare a wet berry has already been described, just pour the cranberries with cold water and leave in the cold. In order to give the billet a more intense flavor and aroma, you can use a more refined recipe.
It will take:
- 1 kg of cranberry;
- 1 large spoon of granulated sugar;
- a pinch of salt;
- clove, cinnamon, vanilla sugar to taste.
- All spices and seasonings should be poured into a saucepan, filled with water and boiled.
- Dry pure berries pour over the resulting infusion and cover with a lid.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
A cranberry drink will refresh and quench your thirst. To get a more useful compote with sour, sugar should be added to the minimum amount or completely abandoned its use. Together with cranberries, other berries are added to the compote - rosehips, cranberries, currants, raspberries, cherries, as well as fruits - apples, pears and any others to taste.
A simple recipe for cranberry compote:
- 1.2 kg of cranberries;
- 800 grams of sugar;
- 1.2 liters of water.
- Dissolve sugar in water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Immerse the berries in sweet water and wait for a second boil.
- Boil in a quiet fire for 5 minutes and remove from the plate.
- Pour the compote into a sterilized jar and clog it.
In its juice
The method is good because sugar and other ingredients are not used in cooking. All that is needed is the berry itself and the dishes in which it will be stored. There are two ways to keep the berry in its own juice.
Method number 1:
- Berries rinse, sort out, separate large specimens from small ones.
- Tend small berry, heat on low heat, put in gauze and squeeze juice.
- Large pieces put in a saucepan, pour over the resulting juice and heat, boil the mixture should not. Juice should be twice less than berries.
- Fold the berry mass in the treated jars and heat on the steam bath for 10 minutes( tare volume 0.5 liters).
- Roll and cool under a warm blanket.
Method number 2:
- Put the berries in a saucepan and simmer over low heat( steam bath).
- Berries will start to allocate juice. When the liquid covers the cranberries by half, transfer the mass into clean jars and sterilize.
- Roll with covers.
For harvesting natural cranberry juice for the winter, it is necessary to perform the following actions:
- Treat the berries with a crush or grind through a meat grinder.
- Pour the berry mass into a saucepan and heat it over a moderate heat, without boiling.
- Add a little water to dilute the berry puree( per kilogram of berry mass take 3/4 cup water).
- Transfer the warmed berries to clean gauze and squeeze the juice.
- The resulting liquid strain, pour into a saucepan and warm a couple of minutes, make sure that the juice does not boil.
- Again strain the drink, bring to a boil on the stove and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour into sterile jars or glass bottles, plug and cool.
Oilcake obtained after the preparation of the juice can be poured with boiling water and compressed. The juice of the repeated pressing will be obtained, which can be used in cooking.
A delicious, sweet cranberry billet that will be a useful alternative to sweets and other sweets.
To get a kilogram of berry marmalade, you need 850 grams of cranberries and 550 grams of granulated sugar.
- Boil the berries for 5 minutes in boiling water.
- Rinse the boiled cranberries through a fine sieve or treat them with a wooden tolstick.
- The resulting mashed potatoes should be poured into a bowl and placed on a stove.
- To fall asleep sugar and cook over moderate heat, simmer until cooked.
- Marmalade is considered ready when its mass becomes equal to twice the mass of the used granulated sugar, that is, the berry mass should be weighed from time to time until the balance shows approximately 1 kg.
This strong drink also has healing properties, if you use it in small amounts not more than once a week.
- 500 grams of cranberries;
- 500 ml of water;
- 700 grams of sugar.
- Grind the berries with a wooden pestle, pour into a glass jar.
- Pour in water and cover with sugar, mix.
- Rewind the neck of the container with a clean cloth, put the workpiece in a dark cold room, until the fermentation process begins.
- When the mass is fermented, put a rubber glove on the neck and make a puncture on one of the fingers with a sharp object.
- Leave for 35-40 days, drain and pour into clean bottles.
- Store the filler better in the refrigerator.
Having procured cranberries for the winter on any of the recipes, you will provide yourself with vitamins until the summer!