Drowsiness usually appears as a reaction of the body to physical overwork or excessive mental stress. But if this state does not leave you for a long time, reducing the daily activity, it is necessary to start searching for its reasons in order to eliminate them. Consider why you always want to sleep and when drowsiness goes beyond the norm.
Physicians identify several main reasons for which excessive desire for sleep may arise:
- Physical and psychological fatigue. In this case, weakness is justified by external factors and does not talk about health problems.
- Insufficiency of oxygen entering the cerebral cortex.
- Prevalence of inhibitory reactions over excitation in the central nervous system associated with the use of toxic medical or other drugs.
- Craniocerebral trauma or congenital pathology of the brain centers responsible for sleep.
- Endocrine disorders.
- Diseases of the internal organs that provoke the accumulation in the blood of substances that stop the activity of the cerebral cortex.
In addition, excessive drowsiness occurs due to ordinary life circumstances. Some of them:
- Forced absence of sleep for a long time leads to automatic activation of the braking reaction of the brain.
- Overload of tactile and painful receptors, as well as hearing and vision, provokes the possibility of falling into a trance, characterized by the change of short cortical waves that are long, which are observed during the fast phase of sleep. It is noteworthy that this is what specialists use when introducing a person into hypnosis.
- After eating, pulls to sleep due to the fact that blood from the brain centers flows to the stomach, liver, pancreas, gall bladder for more active digestion. So, at this time the cortex of the brain suffers from a lack of oxygen, which leads to inhibition of its activity.
- Lack of sleep. The daily norm of night sleep for an adult is 7-8 hours. If due to circumstances you did not manage to get enough sleep at night, it would be difficult to avoid drowsiness during the day. If such a schedule continues for several days, it will be a constant tendency to sleep, which means that the situation should be immediately corrected, because the body is working on wear and tear.
- Stresses. A prolonged psychological load causes a completely adequate physiological response in the form of drowsiness. It is curious that at first the stress strongly excites the nervous system, but, in the end, removes it from normal functioning, depleting the adrenals that produce adrenaline and cortisol.
- Pregnancy. Pregnant constantly want to sleep, and this is quite normal reaction of the body to hormonal changes, toxicosis and internal restructuring of the body. Moreover, in the last trimester, the hormonal background helps to inhibit the functioning of the cerebral cortex, leading to daytime drowsiness.
What to do
In most cases, you always want to sleep during the day for reasons that can be easily eliminated. Required:
- Improve lighting of the room where you are most of the day. If this is not done in a natural way, put a fluorescent light bulb with a wavelength of 420 nanometers. In addition, in the morning try to immediately open the curtains or turn on the light in the bedroom: the first minutes after awakening strongly affect the entire subsequent day: the more active the brain will be for the beginning, the less lethargic you will feel by the evening.
- Morning shower, charging, fast( but not sharp) waking up. These elements of a normal healthy lifestyle will help to get rid of drowsiness, because they help improve blood circulation and, accordingly, the flow of oxygen to the cerebral cortex.
- Analysis of their own natural biorhythms and ordering according to them daily routine. For normal daily activity, it is very important to catch the time of sleep for food and work that is convenient for your body.
- Daytime sleep can also be an indispensable remedy for drowsiness. It is necessary after a strong mental or physical load, because it helps to restore the nervous system. In this case, it is not necessary to sleep for two or three hours: for a rush of vivacity, even a 15-minute slumber will suffice.
- Tonic drinks: green or black tea, coffee. With these funds, do not overdo it, but they are excellent at dealing with weakness.
- Eating the right foods. There are dishes that can activate the organism or put it to sleep. The first include fish and seafood. Vegetables: tomatoes, asparagus, Bulgarian pepper, and fruits: grapefruit, kiwi, apples.
- Massage of the ear lobules and finger bundles, where there are many acupuncture points, pressure on which activate certain centers of the body.
- Clean air in the room and a temperature of no higher than 21 ° C promotes an optimal amount of oxygen in the air, which leads to brain activity.
- If you have a headache and want to sleep before the rain or a sharp change of weather, there is a probability of meteorological dependence, which is a manifestation of vegetative-vascular dystonia. In the case of low blood pressure as an accompanying symptom, it is worth consulting with a therapist. In addition, if there is no strength, and all the time you want to sleep for three weeks, it is worthwhile immediately to see a doctor.