One of the most advanced and effective methods prosthetics teeth is implantation. Its essence lies in implantation crowns into the jaw bone using titanium roots. The implanted teeth look natural.
However, some patients are concerned about the pain that occurs during the operation or after it. For those who do not tolerate pain and are very afraid of such a dental procedure, dental implantation under general anesthesia is intended, but this method has serious features.
- Implantation - does it hurt or not
- Popular methods of anesthesia
Implantation under general anesthesia
- Indications and contraindications
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Stages of implantation
- How much and how does the patient recover from anesthesia
- Side effects, complications
- The cost of the procedure
Implantation - does it hurt or not
Actually removal of a tooth - by itself (without anesthesia) - a much more painful procedure compared to screwing in titanium pin into the bone. The fact is that in the process of tooth extraction, it breaks pulp, which contains many nerve endings, blood vessels.
Only at first glance, implantation is a terrible manipulation, but tooth root removal is more difficult to transfer. When installing the implant, the patient does not feel the incision of the gums; screwing in the pin does not cause pain. Yes, there are sensations, but in most cases it is only pressing discomfort. And all this is due to the fact that dentists use modern methods of anesthesia. But after it passes, the pain occurs, but temporarily as a normal reaction of the body to tissue injury.
Anesthesia can be local or general. During the operation under local anesthesia, the person feels slight relaxation or slight discomfort. As for general anesthesia, its use brings the patient to a state of sleep.
Popular methods of anesthesia
In modern clinics, preference is given to the use of local anesthesia, which is carried out with the help of painkillers. Among the most effective and safe are the following:
- Articaine (Ultracaine). Refers to active anesthetics. Its effect is 2 times stronger than that of Lidocaine. Its validity period is approximately 2, 5 - 3, 0 hours.
- Scandonest (Mepivacaine). Has the same effect as the previous drug.
It is also possible to use therapeutic sleep during dental implantation (sedation).
The peculiarity of the method lies in the fact that the patient does not feel pain, but is conscious. Sedation can be achieved by using a gas that has sedative properties, as well as medications that are injected into a vein.
Among the drugs used in therapeutic sleep, one can single out the nitrous oxide-oxygen mixture, which increases the level of the pain threshold. It relieves stress.
Many people are afraid of the very type of dental equipment. For them, you can use such a method of pain relief as general anesthesia. For this, an oxygen mask or an intravenous injection can be used. Unlike therapeutic sleep, the patient is unconscious during the operation.
Implantation under general anesthesia
There are a number of medications that can help you undergo dental implant surgery easily and painlessly.
It is possible to carry out implantation under anesthesia only if there is a compelling indication for this. It is in this case that the use of local anesthesia is considered justified.
Indications and contraindications
Experts identify a group of indications for the use of real anesthesia:
- the presence of an allergy to drugs for local anesthesia;
- a highly developed gag reflex, which manifests itself during dental treatment;
- a strong fear of visiting a dentist;
- low pain threshold in humans;
- there is a need to install several implants in one procedure.
- Having serious liver or kidney disease.
- The patient has had a myocardial infarction or stroke within the past 6 months.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system, heart disease.
- The person is diagnosed with impaired blood circulation in the brain.
- Acute stage of bronchial asthma or other respiratory organs.
- The patient did not complete the course of hormonal therapy.
- Alcoholic intoxication.
In order to determine the presence of a particular contraindication, a person must first undergo a medical examination.
Advantages and disadvantages
Anesthesia during implantation is becoming an increasingly popular procedure. This is due to a number of advantages inherent in this type of anesthesia during implantation:
- As a result of a decrease in salivation, the surgeon is able to perform all manipulations faster and more accurately.
- The doctor does not waste time calming the patient, which is especially important in treating children.
- A person completely lacks discomfort, fear, feelings of anxiety and excitement.
- The postoperative period is faster and less likely to develop inflammatory processes.
- A large number of contraindications.
- If a laryngeal tube is used, it may interfere with the operation.
- Some side effects may develop after general anesthesia.
- The high cost of the method.
If the choice is to use this type of anesthesia, he must weigh the pros and cons of this procedure.
The use of anesthesia requires constant monitoring of the patient's condition throughout the entire time of the operation.
For anesthesia, a group of strong drugs is used. Among them are the following:
- Sevoran. Refers to the safest drugs that are used for anesthesia. It has a quick action and has a pleasant aftertaste, does not cause discomfort.
- Foran. It is mainly used when it is necessary to carry out an operation for a long time. Its duration is longer than that of Sevoran.
- Xenon anesthesia. It is a mixture of xenon and oxygen. It is non-toxic and non-hazardous to use.
Before choosing one or another drug for anesthesia, it is necessary to examine the patient for contraindications and an allergic reaction.
Stages of implantation
The duration of implant placement depends on the complexity of the procedure and the type of anesthesia used. The whole process of implantation under general anesthesia can be roughly divided into several stages:
- Preparatory. The patient undergoes a medical examination necessary to identify the presence of contraindications.
- A test is made for an allergic reaction to anesthesia.
- Performing anesthesia.
- Cutting tissue.
- Implant implantation.
- Overlaying a seam.
It is possible that the operation will be carried out in 2 rounds. The first one is required for the implantation of the implant. For 3-6 months, the implant takes root, and then a crown is put on it.
How exactly the operation will be performed is decided by the surgeon, focusing on the amount of work and the patient's condition.
How much and how does the patient recover from anesthesia
How long it takes for a patient to completely recover from anesthesia depends on the method of administration.
When using intravenous injection, the drug is excreted quickly. After 5-10 minutes, the patient comes to his senses and can move independently. He does not experience effects such as dizziness, nausea, or confusion in speech.
If a mask was used, it takes a little more time to recover from anesthesia (about an hour). In this case, the possibility of small side effects is not excluded, which disappear on their own in 20-30 minutes.
Side effects, complications
Predicting negative side effects after anesthesia is difficult. It all depends on the condition of the patient, his age and the complexity of the operation. Experts identify such complications that can occur after general anesthesia:
- sudden changes in blood pressure;
- vague consciousness and confused speech;
- emotional excitement;
- muscle contraction;
- rapid breathing.
If one or more side effects are detected, the patient remains under the supervision of specialists in the clinic until they disappear completely.
The cost of the procedure
As for the price of dental implantation under general anesthesia, it depends entirely on the complexity of the operation, as well as on the clinic. With the duration of the operation 1-1, 5 hours, the average price ranges from 12 to 15 thousand. rubles. Further administration of injections increases the cost of the operation by 2.5-3.0 thousand. rubles.
Feedback from those who have done dental implantation under general anesthesia helps to understand the effectiveness of the method and the indications for it.
Implantation was the only way to preserve my teeth. It was decided to use general anesthesia as I am afraid of dentists. I slept through the whole procedure. For which I am grateful to the specialists.
Before deciding on the implantation, I already knew that I would not do anything without anesthesia. Everything went perfectly. True, after the operation I felt a little nauseous, but then everything went away quickly.
After a preliminary consultation with specialists, it was decided to use general anesthesia. I was a little afraid of the side effects, but the surgeon reassured me, assuring me that everything would go smoothly. It was all that way. She slept like a child. There were no side effects.
The site is for informational purposes only. Do not under any circumstances self-medicate. If you find you have any symptoms of illness, contact your doctor.