Hypothyroidism is a problematic disease that has many different unpleasant symptoms and is fraught with very serious consequences. In order to improve the condition and control the course of the disease, it is necessary to apply a number of additional measures in addition to the treatment itself. One of these measures can be considered a special diet, which is not very difficult to comply with, but can give a significant improvement in well-being.
Nutrition rules for hypothyroidism
There are a number of fundamental rules that are mandatory for this disease.
- The first rule concerns the use of foods that contain protein. In the case of hypothyroidism, it is necessary to increase the number of such products in your diet. Protein is the main substance that supports metabolism in the body.
- In order for the well-being to remain satisfactory, it is necessary to maintain an optimal balance of nutrient intake and control the normal metabolism. It is useful to eat fish and other seafood, lean meat, nuts, milk and, in principle, dairy products. It is not recommended in order to replenish protein, there are fatty meats and fish, it will rather harm the body.
- It is also necessary to exclude such usually attractive types of food as fast food, baked pastries and other types of foods saturated with simple carbohydrates. The use of such products disrupts the processes of metabolism in the body, leads to imbalance and deterioration of well-being.
- It is also recommended to limit the amount of liquid consumed per day. In the case of hypothyroidism, a large amount of water consumed leads to an increase in edema and a general deterioration in well-being. Drink no more than 1.5 liters of fluid per day.
- In addition, the diet should include fiber, which contributes to the regulation and normalization of digestive processes in the body.
- It is also useful to drink a cup of coffee in the morning. It is worth noting that in this case we are talking about natural ground coffee, and not about soluble coffee. Tea is not recommended.
- A prerequisite is the constant monitoring of the cholesterol content in the blood. To limit its consumption, it is necessary to limit the content of egg yolks in the diet, most sweets( for example, condensed milk, ice cream), sausages, chips and other fatty foods.
Compliance with these simple rules will maintain good physical condition and help improve the effectiveness of treatment.