Not every vegetable has so many useful properties, like a tomato. After all, tomatoes have a positive effect on the digestive and cardiovascular system, accelerate metabolism, contain very few calories, and therefore are a dietary product. And the most powerful antioxidant lycopene, contained in them, will help fight cancer cells. But, unfortunately, tomatoes, which can be found on shelves in winter, are not always tasty and useful, but very expensive. Therefore, summer is a good time to stock up on tomatoes. There are many ways to do this, but it is most useful to prepare tomatoes in your own juice for the winter.
- Tomatoes in their own juice
- What tomatoes are suitable for harvesting
- How to prepare and delicious recipes
- Without skins
- With a skin
- With sterilization
- Without sterilization
- With vinegar
- Storage rules
This workpiece is a find for those who do nottoo fond of marinades and pickles, who want to enjoy more natural taste of tomatoes and get the maximum benefit from them. In addition, the juice in which the tomatoes were stored can also be drunk or used for cooking various dishes.
To conserve tomatoes in tomato juice can be simple and quick, if you know some of the subtleties of cooking.
Thinness of tomato preparation in its own juice
- To avoid cracking the skin of tomatoes, you need to make several punctures on each tomato near the stalk.
- Juice in cans with tomatoes should be poured in stages, shaking and cranking the jar after each stage. Thus, air bubbles will escape to the outside, this will help avoid the formation of air congestion.
- Tomatoes should not be too acidic, otherwise they will acidify in a canned form. To fix the situation, you can add more sugar than prescribed by the prescription.
- Tomatoes, which are laid in a jar, should be approximately the same size.
- If you plan to use canned tomatoes for making sauces and other dishes, it is better to preserve them without the skin.
- To make the tomato juice homogeneous, you should use a special juicer. In the absence of the latter, skip tomatoes through a meat grinder, and then wipe the mixture through a sieve to remove pieces of peel and seeds.
Which tomatoes will do better than
When choosing tomatoes for this preparation, you should give preference to medium-sized specimens. The main condition - they must be mature, but at the same time dense.
To check the degree of maturity of tomatoes, pay attention to coloring: it should be bright, whether it's red tomato varieties or yellow ones. Also important is the fragrance. In ripe tomatoes, it is very pronounced.
The peduncle and the tops should be fresh, green. It is not allowed to have cracks and spots on the peel of tomatoes, as well as dents and rotten areas.
For making juice it is better to choose soft tomatoes, it is possible with cracks, but without rotten areas. Give preference to sweet varieties of tomatoes without green and white veins inside.
Procurement methods and delicious recipes
To prepare for the winter tomatoes in its own juice can be different:
- with the skin;
- without skin;
- with canister sterilization;
- without sterilization;
- with vinegar;
- without vinegar.
The recipes are huge, and they are all delicious. Just lick your fingers! Let's get acquainted with some of them.
Tomatoes without skin in their own juice
Tomatoes harvested in this way are especially good for making sauces and gravy, first courses, stew. The only drawback of this method is that in the process of cooking tomatoes often lose their shape.
In order to prepare this workpiece, it is necessary to take tomatoes of two degrees of maturity. Some should be dense and elastic, and others - soft, you can even crumple. It is from these crushed vegetables that you need to make juice.
Thick tomatoes are peeled. In order to more easily peel off the tomatoes, you need to make a cross-cut on each tomato. Then put them into boiling water for a couple of minutes, and then into cold water.
Peeled tomatoes are placed in pre-sterilized jars. Then pour hot salted tomato juice, sterilize and roll up the jars.
Tomatoes with peel in their own juice
Such a preparation will be in demand on the table as a snack. It is good that tomatoes in this case remain intact and always retain their original form. And using various additives, you can achieve an original taste and aroma.
Recipe for tomatoes in your own juice with horseradish and garlic
- Prepare a liter of juice from tomatoes.
- Then take about 1 kg of medium-sized dense tomatoes, wash them and remove the stems.
- Make several punctures with a toothpick at the bases of each tomato, fold them into sterile jars and fill with boiling water.
- Soak tomatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes, then pour out the water.
- In tomato juice, pour salt( 1.5 tablespoons), sugar( 3 tablespoons), 50 grams of chopped garlic and horseradish, and 150 grams of ground red pepper pulp.
- All this mixture boil over medium heat for about 5 minutes and fill it with tomatoes.
- Seal the jars with sterile metal covers.
Tomatoes in own juice with sterilization of
Despite the fact that sterilization significantly increases the time spent on preserving tomatoes, it makes the billet safer for consumption and prolongs its shelf life. This is due to the fact that sterilization promotes the inhibition of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Tomatoes are picked, washed, peeled( if desired), stacked in sterile glass jars.
- Then pour boiled tomato juice, pre-adding salt, sugar, pepper and other ingredients to it, according to the selected recipe.
- The cans are covered with lids and placed in a container with warm water, its temperature should be approximately the same as the temperature of the cans. If the water is much hotter, the cans can crack. Water should be poured so that it covers the "shoulders" of the cans.
- Then the pan is covered with a lid, bring the water in it to a boil over low heat. Water should be heated gradually and should not boil too violently.
- The time of sterilization is affected by the volume of used cans:
- three-liter cans are sterilized for 30-35 minutes;
- cans with a capacity of 1 liter - 20-25 minutes;
- half-liter cans - 10-12 minutes.
- After the time of sterilization they are carefully removed from the pan and sealed with metal covers.
Tomatoes in own juice without sterilization
If there is no time for sterilization, it is possible to bypass this process. For this, tomatoes are placed in cans. Before pouring them with tomato juice, they are poured with boiling water. Drain the water after 10 minutes.
If tomatoes are very small, just pour them with boiling water once. And if they are of medium size, then the procedure is repeated twice.
In the end, pour hot tomato juice and roll up the jars.
Tomatoes in its own juice with the addition of vinegar
Any acid is a strong preservative. Most often such preservative in most home preservation is table vinegar. Although tomatoes in large quantities contain ascorbic acid, it is usually recommended to add vinegar if they are preserved without sterilization.
The addition of vinegar extends the shelf life of tomatoes, but brings the taste of tomato juice closer to marinade taste. Usually add 3-4 tablespoons of 9% vinegar to a 3-liter jar.
Recipe without sterilization:
- In sterilized 3-liter cans, place one sheet of horseradish and a sprig of dill.
- Then in each jar add a few pieces of cloves, black and fragrant peppercorns, red capsicum.
- Wash 2.5 kg of dense tomatoes, lay half of them in cans and again put on a sprig of dill.
- Fill the jar with tomatoes until the end, put on top one more branch of dill and a sheet of horseradish.
- Pour the tomatoes with boiling water and cover the jars with covers for 10 minutes.
- Dispense the water.
- Add in each jar 3 spoons of salt and sugar, pour in 4 spoons of table vinegar. Meanwhile, prepare the juice from 3 kg of large soft tomatoes. Cook it over low heat for at least half an hour, removing the foam as it forms.
- Pour the prepared juice into jars with tomatoes and seal with sterile metal covers.
Tomatoes, preserved in their own juice, must be stored, like the entire preservation, in a cool place without access to light. To keep tomatoes better, observe some rules:
- cans must be dry and sterile;
- before sending cans with tomatoes for storage, put them with lids down and cover with a blanket. It is desirable to sustain them in this position for at least 24 hours;
- do not reduce the amount of salt specified in the recipes. Salt is an excellent preservative.
The time spent on harvesting tomatoes in your own juice in the summer will certainly pay off with the stunning taste and benefits of fragrant tomatoes in the winter!