The leader among legumes is considered to be peas, this unpretentious in processing and growing the plant contains protein, carbohydrates, fiber and a large number of vitamins. Especially delicious is a young green pea, which not only will benefit the body, but also decorate any dish. However, over time peas turn yellow and harden, its taste varies, although it does remain useful. There are many ways to prepare peas for the winter, which will allow them to enjoy it in any form all year round.
- Methods of harvesting peas for the winter
Ways of harvesting
Given that peas usually produce a large crop and are worth a penny in the summer, it is necessary to know how to stock them for future use. The main methods of harvesting peas for the winter:
- conservation( marinating);
All the methods are easy and accessible, and peas harvested by each of them can be used for various culinary purposes - it is added to salads, first courses, side dishes, prepared from dried peas flour, an additive to sauces. We will get acquainted with each method more closely.
Dried peas are used for cooking first courses, side dishes and mashed potatoes. Before you start drying, peas need to be processed, ideally immediately after harvesting. It peels and removes wormy and damaged peas.
The task is simplified if you have an electric dryer, if there is not such a device, you can dry peas in the oven:
- peas necessarily blanch for a couple of minutes, this will preserve the color shade of green peas;
- immediately cooled in cold water or by dropping peas into a container with ice;
- is once again treated with boiling water and cooled;
- further, the beans are dried;
- is spread over the surface of the pan into one layer;
- is dried at a temperature of 40-50 degrees for 3 hours;
- is cooled at room temperature for 3 hours;
- again sent to the oven for the same time, the temperature can be raised to 60-65 degrees;
- is cooled, repeat the entire procedure as necessary once again.
The storage time of dry pea depends on how much moisture remains in the middle, the less it is, the longer the beans will remain. If the drying procedure has passed correctly, the peas will retain their green color and beneficial properties.
You can prepare soups, cereals, flour for baking bread and cooking sauces and soup dressings from the dried, more mature yellowish peas.
Before preparing any dishes, the dried peas are pre-cooked.
To prevent the pests from spoiling the dried peas, they are stored in a glass container with a tightly closed lid in a cool place where sunlight can not be accessed. It is necessary to watch closely, that in beans insects and mildew did not start.
This is the most convenient and easy way to keep green peas for the winter. The procedure of freezing passes in several stages:
- Peas are peeled and sorted, removing garbage and spoiled peas.
- Blanc with boiling water, immediately cooled and wait for the complete drying of the beans.
- Place the dry peas on a flat surface on a flat surface( a tray or a pan) and send it to the freezer. This step can be skipped and frozen in a container, but then the peas can gather in a solid clump together. To prevent this from happening, the container with the peas should be periodically removed and shaken well, breaking the lumps.
- After a couple of hours peas are taken out and laid out on containers or packets, put back into the freezer.
Frozen in this way the product will be easy to use in the future, adding to different dishes - soups, salads, side dishes and snacks.
Sugar peas are frozen in pods, which for convenience can be cut into several pieces. The procedure for freezing is the same - the pods are washed, cuttings and rigid partitions are removed, blanched, cooled and distributed along the containers.
Canned peas are a traditional and favorite by many ingredient in a large number of salads. No New Year does not do without the famous "Olivier" with the addition of this product. Many people use it as a side dish, and children like to eat just a spoon.
In shops, canned peas are sold in glass or tin cans, often manufacturers add unnecessary harmful preservatives to it in order to extend shelf life. To be sure of the quality of the product, it must be done on its own, especially since it is very easy to cook canned peas at home. Trying once such a home preparation, you will never want to return to the purchased product.
Recipe without vinegar
We will need:
- 2 kg of green peas;
- for 1.5 small spoons of salt and sugar;
- 1.5 liters of water.
- Put water into the fire, wait until it boils.
- Sprinkle sugar, salt, peas and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Drain the water into a separate dish, peas are placed in sterilized jars, it should occupy 60% of the total volume.
- Strain the marinade, boil again.
- Pour the peas with marinade and cork the jars.
This is not the only method of conservation. For the second method, it is necessary to perform the following actions:
- peas add to boiling water and boil for 8-10 minutes, removing the foam;
- spread on glass jars, add 1 coffee spoon of salt, sugar and the same amount of vinegar in each jar;
- pour boiling water;
- cover the jars with lids and sterilize on a quiet fire for 20 minutes;
- to cover the covers.
You can also immediately prepare marinade and pour them peas - 1 liter of water take a tablespoon of salt, 100 ml of vinegar and 15 grams of sugar. Banks of 500 ml volume are sterilized for half an hour, liter treated for 60 minutes.
Recipe for pickled peas without sterilization
Prepare delicious, delicate peas as in the store can be without additional boiling cans. Such a product will have a slightly sweet aftertaste, and a gentle consistency. For preparation it is necessary to take such products:
- 1,5 kg of green peas;
- 1 liter of clean water;
- 3 small spoons of salt;
- 3 small spoons of sugar;
- 1 coffee spoon of lemon acid.
- Water to bring to a boil with salt, sugar.
- Fill the peas and cook for 15 minutes, then add the citric acid.
- Spread on cans and pour boiling liquid, in which peas were cooked.
- Seal with lid.
It is very important to choose the right peas for marinating: in this way only young, soft peas are prepared, which can be easily crushed with fingers. More mature peas will give the final product a starchy taste and make the marinade cloudy.
You can pickle whole pods and peeled peas. In any case, the salting procedure will not change:
- Peas are picked, the pods are cut off by rigid partitions.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, it all depends on the type.
- Distribute the boiled product according to pre-prepared containers and pour hot brine.
- To prepare the brine, you need to take 60-100 grams of salt per 1 kg of peas.
- To make the taste brighter, the brine is prepared with the addition of garlic, pepper and spices.
- 1 kg of pea young;
- 600 ml of water;
- 60 grams of salt.
- Peeled peas washed and poured with water, leave for 2-3 hours, then drain the water.
- Decompose the beans to the banks.
- To prepare brine in boiling water, pour in salt.
- Pour the peas, close the cap cap, pre-scalded with boiling water.
To pickle peas without marinade, you need:
- Drain grains in boiling water for 3 minutes, transfer to a bowl, cool and mix with salt - 60 grams per 1 kg of peas.
- Transfer to a jar, top with another 20 grams of salt.
- Close the plastic cover.
Before adding such peas to dishes, it is thoroughly washed.