According to the famous saying, the spring is feeding. But the real summer residents and gardeners know that they feed the year and autumn, and winter and summer. There is no time of the year when you do not need to take care of beds, greenhouses and crops - about what already exists or will only be grown in the next season. Today we will tell you how to close strawberries in winter and what they are doing before it.
Among other autumn-winter cares there is a whole complex associated with strawberry plots: in order to get a rich harvest next season, you need to know and be able to do many things. First of all - to understand how to fertilize bushes, prepare for the cold beds, what materials are used for this.
Strawberry - a plant unpretentious, even with a little care is ready to give a harvest. But we can not survive the cold winter without our help. And you need to know how and how to help her.
Preparation of strawberry bushes
- In summer, after harvesting, you should not be too lazy and clean strawberry bushes from old dried leaves, stems, mustaches. If the weather is dry, strawberries must be watered several times until the end of the summer. In the absence of rain, once a week, watering is necessary. This care will help plants to gain strength before the cold times.
- In the second half of September - early October, you need to cut almost all the greenery from the strawberry bushes, leaving only young and strong rosettes of new shoots. Do not be afraid to cut off the leaves so that it does not remain above the ground. Old leaves in winter and spring will not need strawberries.
- As experienced gardeners advise, the place for the bed should be changed every 4-5 years, and gradually, each year building one new garden bed and getting rid of one old one. If you decide that your berry needs a transplant, then it's best to select a new place in the autumn and prepare it according to all the rules. At the end of the summer, a young strawberry is to be transplanted to him, and with the proper autumn care and a good wintering, new bushes will give the first harvest in the next summer.
- Weeding and feeding are mandatory procedures for strawberries, which will be wintering. The last weeding should be done at the end of August, so that before the winter the roots managed to gain strength. After the end of vegetation, this berry still consumes some nutrients, forming new buds for the future harvest, increasing the root system. Therefore, it is necessary to feed plants to ensure that the bushes are safely wintered. You need to feed the berry after you have transplanted or divided the bushes. strawberry weeding strawberry dressing
- If the strawberry grows on the ground, for fertilizing we bring organic fertilizers. If on agrovolokne, then mineral.
- From organic matter, ducks often use manure and peat. A possible option - feeding from the present herb or chicken manure, which can not be added to the plants in fresh form, otherwise the roots can "burn", it is necessary to dilute this fertilizer: on average, 1 part of the preparation to 10 parts of water.
- As for mineral fertilizers, the best is potassium humate and Kemira. Autumn ", as well as superphosphate, which is introduced in advance, as it dissolves in the earth long enough and until the spring can not damage the plants.
We cover strawberries for the winter
- The best winter shelter for strawberries is snow, but not all regions can accurately determine whether the snow will be coming winter or not. Therefore, each dacha owner himself has to answer the question himself whether it is necessary to cover strawberries for the winter. Obviously, in the regions of Siberia and the Far East, in the central part of Russia, strawberries need to be harnessed, observing the basic rules and terms of this procedure. In the southern regions, there is no need to shelter, since in moderate and warm winters under shelter the strawberry can simply "suffocate".
- If strawberries grow on agrofiber, then additional mulching of the soil will not be required, because this material itself is able to partially protect the soil from frost and snowless winter. If the bushes sit on the ground, it is necessary to mow them and mulch with hay, sawdust, foliage or fir-tree lapnika.
- After the preparation of the earth cover, we further cover the plants. Again, we use plant, natural materials. It should be remembered that in some areas the mice wintering like hay or foliage decks, are arranged under them and can damage the roots of the strawberry. In this case, it is better to use sawdust, lapnik, as well as spruce or pine needles as a mulch. In spring, organic mulch will be a good feeding for a new crop, saturating it with nitrogen, and pine needles can be used as a deck on garden paths, it is a valuable garden fertilizer and repels slugs that are very fond of strawberries. strawberry shelter hay strawberry shelter sawdust strawberry cover with needle branches
- The easiest, albeit slightly expensive, is a shelter of non-woven polymeric materials - agrovolokno. This material is an important modern helper in the garden for many gardeners and gardeners. He helps the planting from freezing in the spring and helps with sheltering some plants for the winter. Outwardly it looks like a light thin fabric, it is white and black in color, differs in density, serves for various household work. An important characteristic of agrofiber is that under it heat is stored, but the fabric itself "breathes", passes air and moisture. After the onset of the first frosts, it is necessary to cover the berry with white agrarian fibers, it is best to use a material whose density is 60 g / m2.To prevent the fabric from blowing off the wind, it is necessary to strengthen it along the perimeter of the bed with bricks, stones or boards.
- Another possible way of hiding is to install a winter greenhouse above the beds with strawberries, using all the same agglomerates, the densest available on sale - 60 g / m2.Such a hotbed not only warms the plants, but also helps to prevent the material from freezing to the ground. Over the plants, it is necessary to install metal arcs, digging them deeper into the ground, and pull on them with agrofibers. This tunnel-type shelter will give the strawberry an additional air layer, keep the heat, and while the plants will breathe. strawberry shelter with AGD fiber strawberries in a greenhouse made of agrofiber
When covering strawberries and taking cover of
Another serious question: when should we cover strawberries so as not to harm them? Given that the weather at any time of the year is able to present us with many surprises, it is necessary to carefully approach the terms of sheltering strawberries for the winter.
- Experienced summer residents advise that in no case can shelter the berry until the frost has come. Otherwise, strawberries can simply suffocate under cover.
- It is necessary to wait for colds up to 5 minutes, or even 10 degrees Celsius. At this temperature, do not rush to run to the site, let the strawberries "harden" a little. Hardened bushes better survive the winter cold.
- With the onset of a stable frost of at least 15 ° C, the berry is closed. If with the first frosts in your region came large snow and it is obvious that they will not melt, you can not hide strawberries. The best covering material for her is a continuous snow cover. If the real winter does not come, there is no snow, but there is cold windy weather, it is necessary to cover strawberries.
- The time when you need to remove shelter from strawberries is also different in all regions. Most likely, this is March-April, when average daily temperatures approach 5-10 degrees Celsius. It is important to remember that the high temperature under the coating is even more evil for these plants than the cold. From stuffiness plants burn out, preyut, dry up or rot, so it is better to open the strawberries a little earlier and allow it to adapt to the surrounding temperature regime.
- In the spring, after the berry is open, and the temperature in the street is positive, strawberries need to be fed and treated, given recovery after the winter stress. Among other fertilizers it is good to use ash, it saturates the soil with potassium. And when spraying ash on the leaves or using the extract of this substrate, it is possible to carry out foliar top dressing of plants.
Strawberry requires an attentive and caring attitude, as it, unlike many other garden crops, needs to be prepared in time and correctly for winter and covered, and then released from shelter, cleaned, fed, protected from spring winds and cold weather. This takes a lot of time and energy for the villagers. But with its harvest, tasty and healthy berries, strawberries compensate caring owners all the strength and diligence given to it.