Artificial insemination( AI) is one of the simplest types of assisted reproductive technologies( ART) created to address infertility problems. In general, the essence of the technique is to introduce a specially prepared sperm to a woman, a sexual partner, or a donor. About what is artificial insemination, how the procedure goes, and the patients' reviews are widely covered in open sources.
- For women
- For men
- How is
- carried out Contraindications
Artificial insemination can be classified according to various characteristics.
At the place of sperm injection:
- intrauterine device;
- intracavitary( in the abdominal cavity);
- perfusion into the fallopian tubes( sperm injection with more than usual amount of fluid).
According to the source of used sperm:
- insemination of the husband's sperm( IISM);
- insemination with donor sperm( IISD).
On the use of hormonal drugs:
- without stimulation;
- with the stimulation of ovulation for the maturation of fertile eggs and increasing their number in the selected cycle.
A specific type of AI is selected for each patient individually, depending on the health status of the woman and her partner, the presence of the husband, the previous treatment.to table of contents ^
A common indication for intrauterine insemination is the infertility of a married couple. Such a diagnosis is made if after a year of regular sexual life without the use of contraceptives, pregnancy does not occur.to the table of contents ^
Artificial insemination may be necessary for many reasons:
- obstruction of the fallopian tubes;
- increased activity or density of cervical mucus that destroys or retards sperm;
- ovulation disorders;
- vaginismus( muscle spasm during sexual intercourse);
- deformities or abnormal position of the uterus and / or fallopian tubes, impeding the passage of spermatozoa;
- no sexual partner( for single women);
- idiopathic infertility( for unexplained reasons).
AI donor sperm is carried out if:
- sperm spouse of poor quality, for example, a small amountspermatozoa in the ejaculate, their low mobility, adhesion, disruption of the normal structure;
- a man has genetic diseases inherited;
- spouse had previously performed a vasectomy( surgical sterilization);
- ejaculatory disorders and other causes do not give the man the opportunity to complete sexual intercourse.
How is the
performed? Before the AI is performed, the sperm of the spouse or donor undergoes treatment: it is purified from pathogenic microorganisms, seminal fluid, protein components capable of causing a rejection reaction, and viable and weak spermatozoa are eliminated.
A woman settles in an armchair, then a specialist enters her sperm through a special catheter. After the procedure the patient should lie down for about 30 minutes.
To improve the effectiveness of AI spend 3 consecutive days during the menstrual cycle, starting 1 day before ovulation.
If hormonal stimulation of ovulation is required, the preparation begins in advance: the woman begins to take prescribed medications by the individual scheme. Typically, the stimulation is resorted to if after 2 cycles of AI pregnancy does not occur or to it there are indications.to table of contents ^
Artificial insemination is not performed if:
- a woman is of childbearing age;
- there are contraindications to pregnancy and childbirth, for example, malformations and pathologies of the uterus, previous operations on the organs of the reproductive system;
- diagnosed mental disorders in which pregnancy and maternity are contraindicated;
- revealed tumors and tumor-like formations in the ovaries;
- in a woman diagnosed with malignant tumors;
- at the time of the procedure the patient has an acute inflammatory or infectious disease of any localization.
Alina, 32 years old:
"I did not dare to go to cardiovascular treatment for infertility for a long time, morally, I was already preparing for IVF, but I read about the insemination of other girls' reviews and persuaded my husband to try. On the third cycle, everything turned out! True, on stimulation. "
Veronika, 37 years old:
"After a hard divorce in 30 years I gave myself up completely to my career. At some point I realized that I'm dreaming about a child, but I really do not want to marry, and there are no optimal candidates for biological fathers. AI with donor sperm - and for today I am a happy mother of 2-year-old daughter! »