Althae officinalis is a perennial herbaceous plant of the Malviv family. It has extensive useful properties and is used for the therapy of many diseases. However, the althea, like any other plant, has contraindications, which you need to know before taking it.
- Therapeutic properties of
- Therapeutic properties of
- Treatment of
- Pharmacy preparations
- Syringe of althea root( Alteika)
- Althea root in tablets( Alteyka)
- Extract of althea drug
- Breast collection №1( Phytopectol №1)
- Breast collection №2
- Folk medicine
- For weight loss
- In cosmetology
- For face
- For hair
- Side effects
- For children
- In pregnancy
The plant reaches a half-meter in height, densely pubescentwith a branched short rhizome, a straight stalk and pink or white flowers. It occurs in the forests and forest-steppes of Russia, in Western Siberia, in the steppe regions of Kazakhstan and in the Crimea.
The billets are subject to the althea roots at the age of 2 years and more. Dig them up 2 times a year: in the autumn after the death of the aerial part and in the spring after the emergence of the rosette of young leaves. The roots are cleaned of the cork layer and dried in ovens at a temperature of 35-40 degrees, with natural drying, the raw material can bend and lose its medicinal properties.
Folk medicine also uses leaves and flowers of the althea. Flowers, or rather, marginal petals, begin to be harvested after the buds are blossomed, and the leaves are collected throughout the flowering period - the fully formed young leaf blades with the petiole are cut. Dry raw materials can be in natural conditions( under a canopy or attic), with good ventilation and lack of direct solar.
The dried roots should be stored in a hermetically sealed vessel, since the raw material is hygroscopic, it can dampen and mold. The roots of the plant retain their healing properties for 5, and the leaves and flowers - up to 3 years.
The healing properties of
The high efficiency of the plant is due to the high content of biologically active substances:
- The structure of the althaea roots includes mucous components from polysaccharides, tannins and colloid substances, starch, pectins, vitamins, sugars, solid oils, micro- and macro elements.
- Flowers, leaves and seeds of the plant are slightly inferior in their useful properties to the roots, but they contain a higher content of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, such as oleic, linoleic and others.
Althaea medicinal has the following healing properties:
- is an anti-inflammatory;
- is antispasmodic;
- wound healing;
- is thinning.
Infusions, decoctions, tablets and syrups of plants are used for treatment:
- Inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system .Expectorant and enveloping properties of the althea make it an indispensable drug for laryngitis, tonsillitis, tracheitis, bronchitis and more severe pathology of the respiratory system. As an additional tool, syrups and decoctions of the althea are used for bronchopneumonia and tuberculosis.
- Pathology of the genitourinary system .Althaea reduces the inflammatory process and pain sensations in pyelonephritis, cystitis, ureteral diseases, bladder stones and other problems with urinary organs. Decoction of plant seeds helps to cleanse the body of postpartum secretions. Also, water infusion plants are used for syringing with candidiasis.
- Diseases of the digestive system. Infusions and decoctions of the root of the plant envelop the inflamed mucous, softening the irritating effect of gastric juice, reduce inflammation and accelerate tissue repair. Althae is used to treat colitis, gastritis, enteritis, gastric and intestinal ulcers, esophagitis, dysentery and so on.
- Articular and skin diseases. Outwardly, plant preparations are used in the form of compresses and lotions for washing purulent wounds, with eczema, trophic ulcers, arthritis, rheumatism and other pathologies.
In folk medicine, the plant is used to treat hemorrhoids, prostate adenoma, influenza, SARS, breast cancer. Also, althea medications calm, relieve insomnia and improve appetite.to the table of contents ^
Treatment ofto the table of contents ^
Pharmacy preparationsto the table of contents ^
Althea root syrup( Alteika)
Strengthens sputum formation, normalizes its elasticity and viscosity, stimulates bronchiolar peristalsis, helping to better sputum recovery. Reduces the secretion of gastric juice, eliminates inflammation, envelops the gastric mucosa.
It is used for respiratory diseases, which are accompanied by a cough with hard-to-recover sputum, and inflammatory processes in the digestive tract.
The althea syrup before the intake should be diluted in 50-100 milliliters of water. The drug should be consumed after meals for adults and children from 14 years to 1 tablespoon to 5 times a day;children from 7 to 14 years - 1 dessert spoon( 10 milliliters) from 4 to 6 times a day;from 2 to 7 years - 1 teaspoonful( 5 milliliters) 4 times a day( no more than 6 times);from 1 year to 2 years - 0.5 teaspoonful( 2.5 milliliters) three times a day;up to 1 year - 0.5 teaspoonfuls( 2.5 milliliters) 2 times a day. Duration of treatment according to the instructions for use - 10-15 days. Possible the appointment of repeated and longer courses of therapy.to table of contents ^
Althea root in tablets( Alteika)
Has a moderate antitussive effect, reduces the number of coughing attacks and their intensity, and also improves sputum discharge.
Chewable tablets are given to adults and children after 12 years for 1 piece 3-4 times a day before meals;from 3 to 12 years - 1 piece 2 times a day. The medicine must be chewed and washed down with water. The duration of therapy is determined by the doctor depending on the severity of the illness.to contents ^
The drug does not eliminate cough, but it facilitates its flow. It is prescribed with a dry and "rough" moist cough with hardly detachable sputum. Against the background of taking Mukaltina dry cough turns into a productive damp, and "coarse" becomes soft.
Tablets should be taken 30-60 minutes before meals. Adults and children from 12 years of age are prescribed 1-2 tablets 3-4 times a day;children from 3 to 12 years - 1 tablet three times a day;from 1 to 3 years - 0.5-1 tablets. The medicine should be dissolved in the mouth or dissolved in a small amount of warm sweetened water. The duration of therapy depends on the severity of the patient's condition and usually ranges from 7 to 14 days.to contents ^
Extract of althea medicinal
Dry extract is a powder of light yellow color, with a weak odor and sweet taste. The remedy is used for making cough syrup, which helps with bronchitis and other diseases of the respiratory system.
On the surface of a warm 98% sugar syrup pour a thin layer of dry medicine powder, wait for the mixture to swell and mix it gently while heating.Pay attention to the list of effective drugs-mucolytics http://woman-l.ru /mukolitiki/to the table of contents ^
Breast collection №1( Phytopectol №1)
Composition: marshmallow, oregano, mother-and-stepmother.
It is used for bronchitis, coughing, when weaning from smoking( the remedy facilitates unpleasant manifestations of abstinence, calms the nervous system).
2 tablespoons mixture pour 500 milliliters of boiling water, insist 20-30 minutes and take 100 milliliters three times a day.to the table of contents ^
Breast gathering №2( Phytopectol № 2)
Composition: althae, elecampane, licorice.
It is used for diseases of the respiratory system and gastrointestinal tract.
2 teaspoons of collection pour 200 milliliters of water, boil in a water bath for 5-10 minutes, cool and strain. Take a warm broth for 100 milliliters every 3-4 hours.to contents ^
Althaea medicinal in folk treatment is most often used for diseases of the respiratory system, less often with other diseases:
- Infusion of the root. Grind the root of the plant and fill with water at the rate of 20 grams of raw materials per 300 milliliters of hot water, it is not recommended to use boiling water, as the root may lose its medicinal properties. Insist 2-3 hours, strain and take 1 tablespoon every 2 hours. It is used internally for the treatment of respiratory organs, and externally for skin diseases such as eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis and neurodermatitis. With pathologies of the respiratory system, the treatment course is 3-5 days, with skin diseases - for a long time.
- Tincture of the althaea from cough. Grind 20 grams of the root of the plant, pour 500 milliliters of 40% alcohol and put in a dark cool place for 14-16 days. Take tincture with angina, bronchitis, tracheitis 10-15 drops three times a day before meals. Before taking the tincture, dilute it with a small amount of water. The duration of treatment depends on the severity of the pathology and is 5-15 days.
- Infusion for external use. 3-4 teaspoons finely chopped dry root pour 1 cup of cold boiled water and infuse for 7-8 hours. Concentrated infusion is used in the form of lotions and compresses for washing trophic ulcers, eczema and other skin diseases, for syringing with cystitis.
- Infusion of flowers and leaves of the altheei .1 tablespoon of a mixture of flowers and leaves pour 1 cup of boiling water, insist 6-7 hours, strain and take 1 tablespoon three times a day. It is recommended for the treatment of respiratory diseases.
- Infusion for the treatment of adenoma and prostatitis. 6.5 grams of crushed roots pour 120 milliliters of water at room temperature, infuse for 1.5 hours. Ready to take 1 tablespoon every 2-3 hours.
- Decoction for cough and bronchitis. 2 tablespoons of dry crushed raw materials put in enamel ware, pour 250 milliliters of hot boiled water, cover and warm in a water bath for 25-30 minutes. Decoction cool, strain and take warm 75-100 milliliters to 4 times a day after eating. The remedy is applied externally for compresses, rinses, poultices and enemas.
- Decoction with emphysema. 2 tablespoons of ground roots pour 350 milliliters of boiled water at room temperature and leave for 1.5 hours. Filter and take 120 milliliters three times a day for 60-65 days. The course is recommended to be repeated 3 times a year for 4-5 years.
- Broth for breast and skin cancer. Leaves, roots and flowers of the plant( 2 tablespoons) pour 500 milliliters of warm water, boil 20 minutes over medium heat, allow the mixture to stand for 5-6 hours. Dampen the gauze or napkin in the finished solution and apply it to the affected area for 15 minutes. The procedure must be repeated daily 4-5 times a day for a long time.
- Decoction with ulcer of the stomach and duodenum. Mix an equal amount of the root of althea, comfrey and licorice.1 tablespoon of the resulting mixture, pour 300 milliliters of boiling water, bring to a boil and boil for 5-7 minutes. The broth should be used once a day, preferably in the evening, 250 milliliters.
- Breast tea with althea. Mix 40 grams of the root of the plant, 10 grams of mullein flowers, 15 grams of licorice root, 20 grams of coltsfoot leaves and 10 grams of fennel fruit.1 tablespoon mixture pour 250 milliliters of cold water and insist 30-45 minutes. To take medicinal tea warm in ARVI and colds 3-4 times a day.
- Althea juice. The drink, extracted from fresh and young aboveground parts, is used as an anti-inflammatory and expectorant for diseases of the respiratory tract: bronchitis, cough, tuberculosis, bronchial asthma. Apply juice and in the treatment of certain pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract: enterocolitis, gastritis, diarrhea. Also as poultices, it is indicated for washing the eyes with blepharitis and skin diseases: furunculosis, dermatomycosis, burns and so on.
For weight loss
Althae not only cures many diseases, with its help you can get rid of a few extra pounds. Most of the plant nutrients are concentrated in the roots of the plant, and for increasing weight, the increased content of polysaccharides is particularly important, which, when ingested into the stomach, envelops its walls and creates a protective layer in the form of a film. As a result, the appetite decreases, the person begins to eat less and, accordingly, lose weight.
Take the root of the althea for weight loss regularly in the form of a decoction.2 tablespoons of raw material pour 200 milliliters of hot water and boil for 35 minutes on low heat. The filtered broth is consumed 4-5 times a day for 100 milliliters for 20-25 minutes before meals.to the table of contents ^
Infusions from the roots of the althaea have a beneficial effect on the skin, removing irritation, inflammation and improving its regenerative properties.to the table of contents ^
For the face
For dry skin of the face it is recommended to apply lotions from the herb of the plant: 1,5 tablespoons of dry raw material pour 200 ml of water and insist for 1 hour. Then it is necessary to fold the gauze cut into 3-4 layers, moisten it in medicinal infusion and apply to the face for 20-25 minutes. After the time has elapsed, remove the gauze, while not washing away the remnants of the mask.
The same means can wipe the skin after shaving and / or low-trauma cosmetic procedures, for example, vacuum massage, peeling, and so on.to the table of contents ^
Plant seeds are recommended for treatment and hair restoration.1 tablespoon of seeds mixed with 150 milliliters of vegetable oil, put in a water bath and heated for 1 hour. Finished means to rub into the roots of hair every other day. The course of therapy is 1.5-2 months.
Strengthen the hair will also help mask: 3 tablespoons finely chopped althea root pour 200-250 milliliters of water, insist 1,5-2 hours and strain. Finished product after washing hair, rub into the scalp twice a week for 2-3 months.to table of contents ^
- Individual intolerance.
- Serious disorders of the respiratory system.
- Diabetes mellitus. Preparations of althea are high in sugar.
- Age under 12 years when using drugs with alcohol content.
Side effects of
Althea preparations have practically no side effects, except for allergic reactions( including urticaria, rashes, itching) due to individual intolerance.to contents ^
For the treatment of children, specially developed preparations based on althea, for example, syrup and chewing tablets of Alteyka are used.
Water infusion and decoctions for external and internal use can also be used in the treatment of diseases in children, but only after consulting a doctor.to contents ^
The effects of using syrup and other althea medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding have not been adequately studied, so the doctor should assess their benefit to the mother compared to the potential harm to the baby.