Strong and healthy sleep is the key to good health throughout the day. When pregnancy often there is insomnia, which affects the quality of everyday life. Prolonged insomnia can negatively affect the child. Elimination of this ailment begins with finding out the reasons, because at each stage of pregnancy they are different.
- Causes of
- Treatments for
Sleep disorder can occur in any trimester. There is an opinion that insomnia is a sign of pregnancy. In the body of a woman, hormonal changes begin to occur. The mental state changes, discomfort associated with the embryo implantation into the uterine cavity is formed. All this affects the state of health and leads to sleep disturbances.
Insomnia in early pregnancy can also be associated with developing toxicosis. In some cases, medical attention may be required. It is expressed in the hospitalization of the patient and treatment with drugs that reduce the symptoms of toxicosis.
The reasons for the appearance of insomnia during pregnancy in later terms include the following:
- nerve strain;
- deviations in the work of the gastrointestinal tract;
- itching, appearing in the process of stretching the skin of the abdomen;
- difficulty finding a comfortable sleep position( if there is a large abdomen);
- lack of air, shortness of breath;
- occurrence of seizures;
- pain in the lower abdomen and lower back;
- intense baby stirring;
- frequent urination;
- training fights.
Insomnia in the last weeks of pregnancy is associated with a woman's nervous tension. She is in a state of constant expectation of delivery. Changing the nature of the secretions, painful sensations and increased tremors can cause real panic. Many women are afraid to give birth earlier than the deadline or not notice the flow of water. Anxious thoughts create additional stress.
Sleep disorders in a pregnant woman have a negative impact on both mother and baby. The main danger of the disease is as follows:
- Lack of sleep leads to a decrease in working capacity and deterioration of well-being;
- Insomnia can cause blood pressure jumps;
- Increased propensity to depressive disorders;
- There may be a hormonal imbalance that affects the development of the child.
Methods of treatment
With insomnia, it is necessary to fight at any time of pregnancy. To begin with, it is necessary to find out why insomnia appears during pregnancy. It is recommended to inform the doctor observing the course of pregnancy about the existing problem. He will choose the most optimal method of eliminating the disease. But before turning to the radical ways of fighting insomnia, you should pay attention to the way of life.
In case of sleep disturbance, it is strongly advised not to do the following:
- Drink strong tea or coffee in the afternoon;
- Take medicines that are alcohol-sparing;
- Drink excessive amounts of fluids( especially before bedtime);
- Use diuretics;
- Taking sleeping pills;
- Sleep on the back, because under the weight of the uterus, the lower hollow vein that runs along the spine can be pinched. This can cause loss of consciousness in a woman and oxygen starvation in the fetus.
The most effective and safe methods of adjusting sleep include:
- Hiking in the evening .Walking in the fresh air can be practiced at any time, including - and late.
- Respiratory gymnastics .Normalizes the state of the body, but also prepares it for the impending delivery. You can familiarize yourself with the basics of technology in the preparatory courses for pregnant women.
- Shower or a warm bath .Although you can not use a warm bath to relax all pregnant women. If there is a tonus of the uterus, it is better not to do so. Taking a bath is also contraindicated in the first weeks of pregnancy, when the embryo is not fully attached.
- Aromatherapy .This is an unconventional, but quite effective way to get rid of insomnia. For the relaxation session, you need an aroma lamp and a couple drops of essential oil of conifers, roses, geraniums or thyme, they have a relaxing effect.
- Massage .This is an effective way to relax. It does not have to be intense. The most important for seizures will be self-massage of the shin. It is enough to perform kneading movements just before bedtime. Massaging the waist not only saves insomnia, but also reduces the burden on the spine.
- Power adjustment .Many of the fair sex, being in the position, suffer from insomnia due to malnutrition. This is a fairly common phenomenon. When adjusting the food, remember that you should not eat later than 2-3 hours before bedtime. For dinner, it is desirable to eat foods rich in protein and vegetables. In the afternoon it is recommended to give up fatty foods, and at night - from salty foods.
Timely treatment will save the possibility of developing chronic insomnia during pregnancy. Admission drugs at the stage of bearing a child is highly undesirable. But there are medicines allowed for pregnant women, even in the early stages of an interesting situation.
From insomnia during pregnancy, Glycine is often used.
It refers to a small list of medicines allowed during the bearing of the child. The drug has a positive effect on brain activity and reduces the excitability of the nerve center. Glycin's minuses include a cumulative effect. Complete disappearance of symptoms of insomnia is observed only after a month of application of the drug.
To positive effect on sleep, vitamins and trace elements, include calcium and magnesium. These substances effectively cope with seizures. Magnesium also normalizes the psychological state.
When choosing a remedy for insomnia during pregnancy, the cause of the deviation should be taken into account. Sometimes it is not possible to determine it on your own. In this case, competent specialists will come to the rescue. They will reveal why there are problems with sleep, and how to cope with them without harm to the woman and her child.