Every person at least once in a lifetime reduced legs at night in a spasm or spasm. Seizure is the involuntary contraction of the calf muscles, which is accompanied by a drawing or sharp pain. Such a disease most often affects the elderly, pregnant women, professional athletes, people who have undergone surgery or severe diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
- Causes of
- Treatment of
- During pregnancy
Sometimes spasm of the leg muscles may be preceded by swelling, a feeling of heaviness in the calves, a feeling of numbness or tingling. In some cases, convulsions occur suddenly and also unexpectedly pass. Frequent cramps in the legs of young people or children - a serious reason for anxiety and treatment in the hospital.
- Varicose leg disease in the initial stage or thrombosis can cause repeated seizures.
- Consequences of traumatic injuries of the lower limbs or spine.
- Deficiency in the body of vitamins A, E, D, group B and some trace elements( potassium, calcium, magnesium).
- A diet or food high in protein in food.
- Dehydration of the body, since electrolytes and microelements necessary for vital activity are removed from the body with sweat and liquid.
- Inconvenient or poor quality shoes, too high heels, a lot of strain on the calf muscles.
- Congenital or acquired defects of posture and lower extremities( scoliosis, kyphosis, torticollis, flat feet, etc.).
- Diseases of the spine( osteochondrosis, protrusion or herniated intervertebral discs, stenosis of the spinal canal, etc.).
- Smoking, alcohol, excessive consumption of coffee, chocolate, sugar also contribute to the excretion of trace elements from the body.
- Chronic overfatigue and frequent stress.
- Seizures can indicate serious diseases: brain tumors, epilepsy, spasmophilia, eclampsia, disruptions in the endocrine system, hidden inflammatory processes, infectious diseases, diabetes mellitus, neurological disorders, atherosclerosis, renal failure, etc.
If leg crampsAt night they became frequent and regular - you should not postpone visast to the doctor. The standard of the examination consists of the consultation of the therapist( pediatrician in children), phlebologist, neurologist, endocrinologist, cardiologist, if necessary other specialists. It is possible that nothing serious in the body does not occur, but any disease must be eliminated or prevented their development. Proper and adequate treatment of the underlying disease will soon relieve and from muscle spasms.
If it is not possible to refer to an experienced phlebologist, then you can consult a surgeon, make ultrasound of the lower extremities to determine the presence or absence of a pathology of veins. If abnormalities are detected, the doctor will prescribe medications that will make the blood less viscous and facilitate its current, increase the tone of the veins. In some cases, a special compression jersey is prescribed, which helps to eliminate stagnation in the veins.
A blood test for the content of electrolytes in it and the determination of the level of sugar will allow to establish the missing trace elements.
- Adequate physical activity in conjunction with the correct mode of rest.
- Balanced and nutritious food, including fruits and vegetables, dairy products, whole grains, nuts, seafood.
- Wearing comfortable and fit shoes. After heavy loads on calf muscles in the evening before going to bed it is desirable to take relaxing foot baths, and during rest, put under your feet a cushion or pillow.
- Refusal from the constant wearing of shoes with high heels, and with flatfoot it is necessary to select orthopedic insoles.
- At least once a year you need to take courses of multivitamin preparations and trace elements( Vitrum, Complevit, Kvadevit, Magne B6, Calcium D3, Asparka, Centrum, etc.).
It is often enough in pregnancy to cram the calves of the legs at night. This is due to increased physical exertion on the lower extremities, compression of the fetus of blood vessels and nerve endings in the pelvic region, which is manifested by impaired blood circulation and innervation of the legs.
Iron deficiency anemia - a violation of hemoglobin synthesis in the body, negatively affects the future child and mother. The lack of iron will be replenished with products with a high content: apples, carrots, beef tongue, liver, asparagus beans, beef, rabbit, strawberry, pomegranate.
It is recommended that future mothers, especially in the last months of pregnancy, wear comfortable low-heeled shoes, take relaxing baths with decoction of medicinal herbs( mint, chamomile, horsetail, valerian, motherwort).to contents ^
Leg cramps in a child may appear during periods of intense body growth. The night muscle spasms of some parents are terrifying, others - remain indifferent. In any case, with frequent seizures, you should consult a doctor.
The reason for these phenomena can be:
- inadequate physical activity, accompanied by curvature of posture and / or flat feet;
- permanent nerve overexertion of the child due to hyperactivity;
- frequent overcooling of the whole body or lower limbs;
- insufficient or excessive fluid intake;
- a long stay in an uncomfortable static posture( at a desk, while resting on an uncomfortable bed, etc.).