Vaseline oil, or liquid paraffin, is one of the common medications of a home medicine chest. Obtained by processing petroleum products, it has proven safety and efficiency. Useful properties and recipes for the use of vaseline oil are used in medicine, cosmetology, industrial production and agriculture.
- Chemical composition of
- Useful properties of
- Useful properties of
- Methods of application
- For therapeutic purposes
- From constipation
- From constipation in cats
- For cleansing of nasopharynx
- When nursing a child
- To eliminate stagnation in the chest during lactation
- To remove the crust from the baby's head
- Against the chick and diaper rash in the child
- For the relief of soreness in the joints, muscular pain
- From spasms and pains in the intestine
- For weight loss
- In cosmetology
- To eliminate the secant
- Mask for dry hair
- Mask for dandruff
- For growth of eyebrows and eyelashes
- Rejuvenating face mask
- In industry
- Side effects
Vaseline oil is presented as a viscous liquid without color, taste and smell. This substance is obtained by vacuum distillation from petroleum fractions, mainly from kerosene. Then it passes a high degree of purification with sulfuric acid. This directly affects its quality. The degree of purification of the agent is assessed in accordance with ASTM( American Standard).
Vaseline oil contains a mixture of hydrocarbons. Its absolute harmlessness is proved. Liquid paraffin does not have harmful organic components( carcinogens, toxins, aromatic hydrocarbons), does not decompose and does not accumulate in the body, does not enter the systemic bloodstream, is eliminated naturally in unchanged form. Hydrocarbon mixtures in the composition of the oil are able to dissolve in ether, chloroform, gasoline, however, in water and alcohol are practically not subject to dissolution.
Thanks to the chemical composition, the petrolatum oil has the following advantages:
- does not gibble;
- can not be oxidized;
- during storage, the consistency of the product remains constant, its odor and color.
This substance can form homogeneous mixtures with a variety of other oils, ethereal and vegetable, except castor, because of its density.
The safe chemical composition and natural origin of liquid paraffin makes it possible to use it not only for outdoor but also for domestic use.to contents ^
Useful properties of
Wide use of vaseline oil in everyday life, cosmetology, medicine, industry, agriculture and subsidiary farms is due to a wide range of its useful properties.
- A laxative effect that promotes natural and gentle emptying of the intestine. For this reason, the use of vaseline oil for constipation is common. The action is carried out by enveloping the feces and their easier passage through the digestive tract, while not violating its microflora. The mild effect is the use of vaseline oil after surgery on the intestine. It is used to pass the first stool after surgical operations.
- Has a cleansing effect on the digestive tract, blood vessels, helps to remove excess cholesterol from the body.
- Lubricating qualities of the agent cause its use in the setting of an enema, gas pipe. According to the instruction, the use of vaseline oil during catheterization facilitates its introduction. In this case, a sterile substance should be treated with a copious amount of a catheter. Use vaseline oil for intimate use for the purpose of additional lubrication during sexual intercourse.
- In pharmaceutics this substance is often a solvent, the basis of suppositories, ointments, gels, it is used as a defoamer in the preparation of penicillin.
- The use of vaseline oil in gynecology is due to its softening and antimicrobial properties. Effective use of tampons with this substance, especially in combination with propolis.
- Antimicrobial, cleansing properties cause the use of vaseline oil for the ears, nose, nasopharynx with a hygienic purpose and for the treatment of diseases of the ENT organs( rhinitis, otitis, ear plugs).
- The protective effect of frostbite and weathering of the skin, as liquid paraffin does not freeze.
- Antiseptic and regenerating properties allow the use of vaseline oil for external use in the treatment of cuts, wounds, cracks.
- The therapeutic effect of poisoning fat-soluble poisons( gasoline, kerosene).The use of liquid paraffin helps to significantly alleviate the symptoms of this condition.
- Hypoallergenic qualities of oil allow it to be used in children. Liquid paraffin is used to eliminate irritation from diapers, swabs, "crusts" on the head of an infant, as an antiseptic and wound healing agent. It is possible to use it to obtain a laxative effect. When using petroleum jelly for newborns and children of other age groups, it should be applied in a thin layer, in order to avoid clogging the pores, restricting the flow of oxygen to the tissues. It is used to eliminate stagnant phenomena in the breast of a woman during lactation.
- Successfully use petroleum jelly in veterinary medicine to treat constipation in animals.
- Liquid paraffin is widely distributed in cosmetology. Its softening qualities are used for massage, treatment of coarse skin, calluses, for the growth of eyebrows and eyelashes. The effective use of vaseline oil for the face and hair, thanks to the ability to retain moisture in the layers of the dermis. It is often included in cosmetic preparations: lotions, creams.
- In the industry, lubricating and repelling agents are used, it is used for servicing certain mechanisms, processing parts, in the production and processing of plastics, as a plasticizer.
- The protective qualities of vaseline oil have been successfully used by some manufacturers for longer preservation of vegetables and fruits, and processing of their surface.
- The harmful effect on pests of plants makes it possible to use this substance in agricultural and part-time farms.
Ways of using
Wide use of petrolatum oil in various industries is due to its economy and efficiency. However, it is necessary to purchase only high-quality product of high purification, especially for medical purposes.
It is necessary to choose a vaseline oil with an acceptable shelf life, transparent color, without cloudy impurities.
The ways and recipes for using this tool determine the variety of possibilities for its use.to contents ^
For therapeutic purposes
The most common use of liquid paraffin in this industry. Medical use of petroleum jelly is possible both in external and internal form.to contents ^
This problem is considered the main indication for the use of oil. In this case, the medication is taken orally, on an empty stomach. You can use the substance for a couple of hours before or after eating. According to the instructions, adults need to take 1-2 tablespoons of oil. The laxative effect occurs 5 hours after ingestion. The duration of therapy should not be longer than 5 days.
According to the instructions for the use of petroleum jelly in children, its dosage depends on the child's age: 1-3 years - 0.5 teaspoon, over 3 years - 1-2 teaspoons, 4-7 years - 3 tablespoons. In newborn infants up to a year, the use of a substance not more than a half teaspoon or special candles based on liquid paraffin is recommended.to table of contents ^
From constipation in cats
Used internally with a syringe without needles. The amount of oil is used at the rate of 1 milliliter per kilogram of weight. In cats, the average dose is usually 5 milliliters. Using a syringe, the product is delivered to the animal's mouth before eating.to table of contents ^
For cleansing of the nasopharynx
Use of petroleum jelly for the nose ensures its effective and safe cleansing, removal of clumps of mucus from the nasopharynx. It should be instilled in 1 drop in each nostril thrice a day. Can be used in the form of cotton swabs, moistened with oil. They wipe the nasal passages or lay sinuses for 5-7 minutes.to the table of contents ^
When the child has
To eliminate pain, 3-4 drops of oil should be dripped into the child's ear in the supine position. Leave for 10 minutes. Then lay the auditory passage with cotton wool.to the table of contents ^
To eliminate stagnant phenomena in the chest with lactation
In this case, compresses are used. Gauze wrapped in several layers, dipped in warm oil, squeeze. Then put on the chest and leave overnight. Compress promotes the inflow of milk and the elimination of stagnation.to the table of contents ^
To remove the crust from the child's head
To carry out this procedure painlessly, after bathing, lubricate the baby's head with vaseline oil. After waiting for the softening of the crusts, they can be removed.to table of contents ^
Against sweating and diaper rash in a child
This procedure can be performed both for the treatment of dermatitis and for its prevention. After bathing with oil, all wrinkles and problem areas on the child's body are wiped.to the table of contents ^
To relieve soreness in the joints, muscle pain
In this case, compresses are used. Gauze wrapped in several layers, dipped in butter and squeezed. Apply to the affected area, from above place a compress paper. To compress a compress with a bandage. With a strong pain syndrome, you can additionally apply alcohol. They should sprinkle gauze, previously moistened with water. Affected area treated with vaseline oil. Then apply gauze.to the table of contents ^
From spasms and pains in the intestine
In this case, an enema with vaseline oil is used. To do this, dissolve 3 tablespoons of the product in 100 milliliters of warm water. The composition is heated on a water bath up to 38 degrees. Enter the solution with enema, preferably at night.to table of contents ^
For weight loss
To get rid of excess weight, it is recommended to consume 1 tablespoon of Vaseline oil every morning on an empty stomach, washing it with water. Duration of admission is 10 days, repeat the course maybe after six months.Application of heparin ointment for medical and cosmetic purposes http://woman-l.ru/geparinovaya-maz/to the table of contents ^
The wide use of vaseline oil in cosmetology is due to its hypoallergenic, lubricating and moisturizing properties.
It can be used alone or as a part of various cosmetics( lotions, creams), act as a neutral solvent for some products( antiperspirants, deodorants, bath salts).There are many recipes for the use of this substance at home.to table of contents ^
To eliminate split ends
The use of petroleum jelly for hair can effectively combat naughty tresses and split ends. For this, a small amount of the medium is rubbed between the palms and applied to damp hair. This creates a visual effect of smoothness and shine. Do not leave oil on the hair for a long time, to avoid their drying, it should be thoroughly washed off with shampoo.to the table of contents ^
Mask for dry hair
To prepare a hair conditioner, mix olive and paraffin oil in the same ratio. Then add salicylic acid and a drop of castor oil. Distribute the mask with rubbing movements on the roots of the hair and leave for 30 minutes. Then rinse with shampoo.to the table of contents ^
Mask from dandruff
Mix the paraffin and castor oil in the same ratio, put 1 gram of resorcin powder into the mixture, stir. Mask the hair at the roots, after a few minutes, rinse with shampoo.to the table of contents ^
For the growth of eyebrows and eyelashes
In this case, liquid paraffin is applied with a cotton swab or a brush. It is more preferable to combine it with other oils, otherwise the effect will be only visual. A quarter of an hour after application, the product must be washed off.to the table of contents ^
Anti-aging facial mask
To prepare the preparation, whip the egg yolk of 1 egg, mix with 10 grams of chamomile and salt tincture, 2 tablespoons of vaseline oil, a teaspoon of honey and 80 grams of almond oil. Stir until homogeneity of the composition, and then put in the refrigerator for a quarter of an hour. Apply on the face and neck area before going to bed, in the morning wash off the mask.to contents ^
In theindustry The use in various industries is mainly due to the ability of the vaseline oil to form a thin protective film on the treated surface.
Thanks to the properties of this product, there are the following areas of its use:
- Used in the manufacture of lubricant compositions that are resistant to oxidants. These means can be processed rubbing wooden parts( drawers, skis, snowboards, pencil cases).
- In combination with gasoline, petrolatum oil is used to form an anticorrosion coating.
- It is widely used in radio engineering, in the production and processing of plastics.
- It is used for making candles, including church candles, as an oil for lamps.
- Lubricating, antistatic properties of the product are used in sewing complex materials: rubber, imitation leather, reinforced PVC and so on. At the same time, the parts of the sewing machine, threads and irons are oiled. Advantages of the tool is that it does not have a deforming effect, does not get dirty, does not leave traces. Used when jamming zippers on items of clothing.
- In the food industry, the product can be used as a natural preservative for fruits, vegetables, eggs, nuts, significantly increasing the shelf life. It is present in the recipes for the manufacture of some confectionery products: chocolate and glazes, caramel, muffins, chewing gum, sweet cheeses.
- In rural and subsidiary farms is used as a carrier in the production of pesticides for spraying plants. The harmful effect on harmful insects is due to the clogging of their spiracles, causing asphyxiation, as well as destructive effects on their eggs and tissue structure. Vaseline oil is a part of preparations against ticks, moths, scabbards, false scythes, aphids, chervets, whiteflies, coffins, leafworms. Wood and shrub crops( apple, plum, cherry, pear, citrus, gooseberries, raspberries, currants, grapes, cherries, etc.) are subject to treatment against pests. Due to the phytoncidity it is not used for herbaceous plants.
Proven safety of the drug and its naturalness make it possible to apply it for different age groups, including for children. However, there are a number of contraindications to the use of petroleum jelly:
- inflammatory phenomena in the abdominal cavity;
- helminthic invasion;
- is not allowed for internal use with hemorrhoids;
- pregnancy and lactation, as the activation of the intestine can provoke an increase in the tone of the uterus;
- ulcerative lesions of the digestive tract;
- for poisoning with agents containing phosphorus;
- feverish conditions;
- obstruction of the intestine and bleeding;
- hypersensitivity reactions.
Side effects of
In the vast majority of cases, the use of vaseline oil is not accompanied by negative phenomena. But in some situations, the following side effects may occur:
- decrease in intestinal tone( atony) with prolonged use;
- degradation of food digestion;
- obstruction of pores in infants( for this reason, the liquid paraffin oil is applied in a thin layer and after a while is washed off);
- hypovitaminosis with prolonged intake due to impaired absorption of fat-soluble vitamins;
- oil of poor quality with poorly cleaned can cause irritation on the skin, allergic dermatitis( vaseline), which is manifested by rashes throughout the body and the presence of blisters.