Smooth and shining hair is the dream of most girls. However, to give your hair a perfect look, you need to spend a lot of time every morning. In addition, all sorts of manipulations with hairdryers and curlers significantly impair the hair condition and spoil their appearance. Recently, keratin hair straightening has gained tremendous popularity. Many women of fashion have already tried this procedure on themselves and constantly talk about its amazing effect. But is keratin recovery as safe as it is, and is it really such a stunning effect? Let's understand.
Why does the structure of the strands deteriorate?
Our hair is susceptible to many factors. All of them essentially spoil the structure of each hair. If you do not take any action, then over time, your hair begins to look worse. Before understanding what keratin is for hair and why it is needed, let's get acquainted with three main groups of factors affecting the health of your head of hair.
- Any color change. This includes both traditional stains and natural dyes, as well as melioration and clarification. Any paint( even the best quality) has a greater or lesser effect on the structure of the hair.
- Any chemical and thermal effects. This includes drying the hair dryer, using ploices and ironing and so on.
- Unfavorable environmental impact. The strand is exposed to city air, sunlight, chlorine in the pool, sea salt, and much more.
Benefits of keratin hair restoration
This is a procedure during which the hair structure is neatly restored and returned to its original appearance. Additional effect: the hair becomes very smooth, like after using ironing.
Let's look at all the benefits of keratin recovery. Please note, they are relevant only if you use a quality product.
- The effect after the procedure with proper care can last up to 5 months.
- During the session, no chemical effect is exerted on the hair.
- Ingredients include protein and keratin - natural components.
- After the procedure, the hairstyle is protected from thermal exposure. Already a week after keratin restoration hair can be dyed.
- No contraindications for chemical wave.
- This procedure suits the owner of all kinds of hair.
- Keratin reduction can be carried out even for children( from 13 years old).
- There is no limit to the number of repetitions of procedures.
Are there any drawbacks to this method?
Nothing is perfect, and keratin treatment for hair is no exception. Of course, this procedure has its drawbacks, which, however, a little. Let's get acquainted with them so you can weigh the pros and cons:
- If the roots are weakened, it's better to postpone the procedure for a while, since in this case there is a risk of hair loss.
- Keratin slightly burdens the curls, so that they lose their volume. If you are a lover of lush hairstyles, you'd better give up keratin.
- After the procedure, you will have to spend some time choosing hair care products. The fact is that after the application of keratin, you can use only special products that do not contain sulphates.
Keratin or chemical hair straightening?
There are two very similar ways of straightening curls: chemical and keratin straightening. Despite the fact that the external effect of these procedures are quite similar, they have a lot of differences.
The fact is that the composition of means for chemical straightening includes sodium thioglycollate. This substance, which is used in depilation creams( of course, they enter into them in much larger volumes than in the means for straightening).Thioglycollate sodium is able to dissolve keratin protein compounds. Because of this, the hairs become very soft, but at the same time thin and weak. In addition, chemical straightening has many other disadvantages: the complexity of the procedure, the risk of getting the composition on the face and so on.
Keratin exposure is the opposite of chemical. It restores the lost keratin, but does not destroy what is available. And the procedure itself is much simpler and at times more secure.
Keratin straightening or lamination?
Lamination is another popular procedure recently that gives the effect of smooth and even hair. So which is better to choose?
Lamination of hair means applying a special colorless product on them. It creates a film effect that carefully wraps every hair.
As for the keratin coating, it gives both the treatment of the hair structure and the rectification effect. Thus, you significantly reduce the time for daily styling and still have radiant, healthy hair.
The technology of performing the procedure
Keratin treatment can be performed both in the salon and at home, the main thing is to have all the necessary tools and materials, as well as know the procedure for the procedure.
It will take quite a few different adaptations, so it is much easier and cheaper to visit the salon every five months and perform the keratin repair there. You will be sure that you are in the hands of a specialist and you will definitely get the desired effect.
In any case, wherever you decide to do this procedure, you need to familiarize yourself with its technology. So, the following devices are needed for work:
- comb with frequent denticles and a tail of heat-resistant material( the best variant is carbon);
- professional hair iron with wide ceramic plates, capable of heating up to 230 degrees;
- measuring cup;
- wide brush( best of silicone);
- several clips for the hair.
Procedure for keratin repair:
- First of all, it is important to thoroughly clean each hair. To do this, the head needs to be washed two or three times with shampoo intended for deep cleaning.
- Next, the hair should be dried using a normal hair dryer and comb.
- After that all the hairs should be divided into equal sections. Typically, the masters divide them into three or four parts.
- Now you can proceed directly to applying a keratin mask to your hair. To do this, the product is applied to a single strand of 1 cm each. From the roots should also retreat 1 cm. It is very important to carefully distribute the mask along the entire length, without disregarding even the tips.
- Lastly, the composition is applied to the basal area. After this, you only need to carefully comb the strands and remove the excess mask.
- The remedy should stay on the head for about half an hour. At this time, the room temperature should be maintained. Additional exposure to heat is not required.
- Next, dry your hair with a hair dryer. Use the heat can not. Suitable medium or low.
- It remains only to straighten with ironing. It is important to carry out this step correctly. It is necessary to take each strand( taking into account the fact that we got at the beginning 3-4 strands) and go through it from 5 to 7 times ironing. The iron must slide gently and quickly, without stopping. The temperature of the device is 230 degrees.
It is necessary to use a strictly defined amount of the drug. Both the lack of funds, and its excess will negatively affect the outcome.
- For short hair length of about 10-20 cm you need 20-30 ml of the drug.
- For medium length( 20-40 cm) - 40-50 ml.
- For maximum length( from 40 cm and more) - no more than 80-90 ml of the remedy.
The main components of the means for the procedure
At the moment there are many different firms that offer masks for keratin recovery. However, all funds have approximately the same composition. Let's look at the key elements of these masks.
- Keratin is, of course, the main ingredient. He deals directly with the treatment, filling the voids in the hair, and smoothing the scales on them.
- Protein helps the keratin get inside the hairs and do its job properly.
- Microelements - additional components for hair nutrition and maintenance of the result
In addition, some cheap products may include formaldehyde. This is a dangerous and very harmful substance. When choosing a keratin mask, be extremely careful and give preference only to products without formaldehyde.
If you want your hairstyle after keratin recovery to rejoice you for as long as possible, you should stick to certain rules for hair care after the procedure.
- The first 48 hours after the restoration is the keratin fixing period. At this time, you need to take maximum care of your hair and give your hair freedom.
- During the period of keratin fixing, completely discard any hairstyles( including tails and braids), as well as pins, clamps, hoops, gums and jewelry for the head.
- If you made a recovery in the cold season, for 48 hours, give up hats. Use at this time only hoods. They allow the hair to stay in a more relaxed state and do not wring them.
- Another taboo for the first 48 hours is washing your head. The first time you can wash your head only two days after the procedure.
- While taking a shower during the fastening period, do not forget to use a special cap to prevent even small drops of water from getting on your hair.
- Consult your craftsman and carefully select the products for your home care. Shampoos, conditioners, masks, as well as other products should be suitable for hair that has been treated with keratin.