Lemon grass( lemongrass, lemongrass, citronella, chelchnoborodnik) is a perennial plant of the genus Tsymbopogon with hard long narrow linear-lanceolate leaves of light green color. Its height, depending on the climate, can reach from 70 centimeters to 1.5 meters. Rhizome short, tuberous, the inflorescence is formed by spikelet and is located in the sinuses of the apical leaves.
- Ingredients and useful properties
- Uses in medicine
- In aromatherapy
- In cooking
- In cosmetology
- In pregnancy
The leaves of the plant are collected before the onset of colds, laid out in a thin layer in a sheltered from sunlight and a well-ventilated place for drying. In the dried form, lemongrass can be stored in a glass jar with a tightly closed lid in a dark room. The bases of the sockets are wrapped in a food film and placed in a refrigerator. This method can be stored for several weeks.
Composition and useful properties
The main substance that gives this plant a pleasant citrus aroma and taste - citral. In addition to it, the plant includes geraniol, farnesol, myrcene with aldehydes and other elements. Lemon grass also contains a large amount of ascorbic and nicotinic acid, vitamin A, calcium, iron, potassium, sodium and phosphorus.
Thanks to its rich chemical composition, lemongrass has many beneficial effects on the human body:
- Wound healing.
For medicinal purposes, the plant is used as a tincture, tea, juice, creams, essential oil, ointments. It is also a part of herbal preparations.
- Infusion : 1 tablespoon chopped leaves pour 250 milliliters of boiling water, insist for 5 minutes, strain and take inside 200 ml 2 times a day. Adding honey contributes to the healing properties of the product. Also, the aqueous infusion can be used for external use.
- Tincture of : 2 tablespoons of shredded Lemongrass stem into a glass container, pour 1 liter of alcohol and place in a dark, cool place for 21 days. Ready tincture take 2 tablespoons 3 times a day.
- Juice herbs are used externally as a powerful insecticide. It effectively scares off different insects. It is necessary to break the stem of the plant, squeeze it and apply squeezed juice to the open areas of the body. Also, the remedy will relieve itching after bites.
- Tea : 1 tablespoon of dry or fresh herbs to brew in 250 milliliters of boiling water, insist 5 minutes and strain. As a sweetener it is recommended to use honey or herb stevia honey.
- Slimming tea with lemongrass : 2 tablespoons dry herbs pour 1 liter of water, add to the mixture 100 grams of freshly ground ginger and juice of two lemons. Mix thoroughly, boil for about 10 minutes, then insist 15-20 minutes and drain. Drink 3 times a day for 200 milliliters before meals.
Application in medicine
- Herbal tea with citronella is an effective remedy for colds.
- Water infusion is used in case of pain in the stomach and intestines, gassing to improve digestion, also as a sweatshop.
- Alcohol tincture is indicated for cough and rhinitis relief, headache relief, with dyspepsia.
In addition, in medicine, lemon grass preparations are used in complex treatment for the following diseases:
- Bacterial infections.
- Diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
- ARI and respiratory diseases.
- Angina and other pathologies of the mouth and throat.
- Memory loss.
- Weakened walls of blood vessels.
- Delayed metabolism.
- Muscle and ligament weakness.
- Inflammation of the intestine.
- Parasites in the intestine.
- Fermented deficiency.
- Fungal diseases of the skin.
- Low acidity of gastric juice.
- Acne vulgaris.
- Low lactation.
The oil obtained by steam distillation from dried leaves has a lemon and fresh aroma. It can be purchased at a pharmacy and used for external use as an antibacterial, deodorant, antimicrobial and antiseptic.Lemon grass acts as an effective antidepressant, helps with insomnia and stress, relieves fatigue, refreshes, raises vitality.
Also, lemongrass oil improves mental activity and memory performance, increases efficiency and focuses attention. This oil is recommended to be used in the passenger compartment as a perfume to increase the reaction speed of the driver.
- In aroma lamp oil is used to activate brain activity, relieve fatigue, improve mood - 2-3 drops per session.
- Inhalations help with diseases of the upper respiratory tract and respiratory system - 2-3 drops per 200 milliliters of water. The inhalation time is 4-6 minutes.
- The Aroma Medallion lifts the mood, gives energy, contributes to the concentration of attention - 1 drop.
- Massage with citronella oil speeds up lymph flow and blood flow, which prevents the development of varicose veins, helps burn excess fat and normalize metabolic processes in the body - 4 drops of the drug per 20 grams of massage foundation.
- The foot and bath tubs restore strength, tone, help to relieve fatigue - 4-6 drops on a full bath of water or 4 drops per 200 milliliters of water in the nails. The time of reception should not exceed 15 minutes.
Lemon grass is often used for cooking Asian cuisine. It gives the food an unforgettable aroma, combining light notes of almonds and the smell of citrus.
It is recommended to use the bottom of the fresh stems of the plant, if there is no such option, then the powder from the dried raw material will do. Fresh stems can be added to dishes whole, finely chopped or thoroughly ground in a paste. Dried plant should be well soaked before use. The taste reminds the stems of lemon zest, while having a fresh aroma.
In Thai and Vietnamese cuisine, the plant is added to stews, soups, curry, seafood, fish, beef, chicken and pork dishes. Also it is put in tea. Lemon grass is ideally combined with chili, garlic and cilantro. If there is no this plant, it will be replaced with lemon mint, zedra or vervain.
In addition, Thai chefs use the plant to make a drink with the smell of lemon, which perfectly refreshes and tones the body. To do this, several stems of grass are cut into small pieces, put in a cup and poured with boiling water. The finished lemon drink is served in a cooled form, with ice, sugar and milk.to the table of contents ^
Lemongrass essential oil is used for cosmetology purposes. It is a part of therapeutic ointments, creams and lotions for the care of problem skin of the face and body. Ready-made products can be purchased at the pharmacy or enriched with oil the composition of your favorite lotions, creams, shampoos - 1 drop of oil for 5 grams of the fixed asset.
The effect of essential oil is as follows:
- Reduces eczema, acne, skin irritation.
- Narrows the pores.
- Helps to get rid of acne.
- Tightens sagging skin.
- Helps to get rid of cellulite.
- Stimulates hair growth.
- Strengthens the hair follicles.
- Fights with increased hair loss.
- Soothes dry scalp itching.
- Has a deodorizing effect.
- Is a good foot freshener.
- Prevents excessive sweating.
Methods of application in cosmetology:
Read also about another spicy plant that is successfully used in folk medicine for the treatment of various diseases - laurel leaf http://woman-l.ru/lecheniya-lavrovym-listom/to the table of contents ^
- With acne rash , the oil is applied in a pure form pointwise to the affected areas. After 5 minutes, rinse.
- For cleaning and narrowing the pores of the , applications are useful: 7 drops of the substance are mixed with 10 drops of the base oil, applied to the problem skin and washed off with warm water after 5 minutes.
- To get rid of excess fat on the hair : 1 drop of lemongrass remedy add to a single dose of shampoo, in a circular motion, massage your head and wash it off with warm water.
- Hypertensive disease.
- Increased excitability of the nervous system.
- Individual intolerance.
- Children under 7 years.
Excessive use of lemongrass can cause perspiration in the throat, short-term hoarseness, contraction of the vocal cords. The herb is not toxic, but in high concentrations it can irritate the sensitive skin, causing burning sensation, redness.to the table of contents ^
Preparations based on lemon grass are contraindicated in pregnant women.