Basil( Ocimum basilicum) is an annual herbaceous plant that belongs to the clear-cut plant. In translation from the Greek language, its name sounds like a "royal smell."In various countries it is called "Reagan" or "Rayon".In natural conditions it grows in many regions of Asia and America. Its useful properties are used not only in cooking, but also in medicine and cosmetology.
- chemical composition
- Useful properties
- Methods and
- use of recipes in medicine
- essential oil
- cold for headache
- From rhinitis
- feet from corn
- in cosmetology
- Refreshing Face Tonic
- Face Mask
- Cleansing Lotion
- Hair Mask
- Hair Conditioner
- In Cooking
- Pesto Sauce with Basil
- Brussels Sprouts with Basil
- Toast with egg and basil
- Procurement and storage
There are several varieties of green and violet leaf basil, the flowers can be white, pink or whitish-violet. The plant is characterized by a pronounced smell of cinnamon, mint or lemon.
This spice contains a large number of substances useful to the body:
- Proteins, fats, carbohydrates and dietary fiber;
- of Vitamins A, E, C, K, PP and Group B;
- Minerals: potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, selenium, phosphorus and copper;
- Tannins and phytoncides;
- Amino acids and essential oils.
Useful properties of
The benefits of both purple and green basil are not only in its excellent aroma and taste, but also in its medicinal properties. Regularly eating it, you can not only enrich the taste of culinary dishes, but also improve your health, and lose weight.
Healing, fragrant basil has the following useful properties:
- Anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial;
- Cleans the body of toxins and other harmful substances;
- Strengthens the immune system;
- Restores memory;
- Normalizes the work of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Soothing effect on the nervous system;
- Removes various spasms;
- Improves eyesight, prevents cataracts, glaucoma and inflammation of the eyes;
- Fights oral diseases;
- Reduces temperature;
- Eliminates insomnia;
- Cleaves and removes stones from the kidneys;
- Is an aphrodisiac;
- The benefit and harm of basil for men is that its regular consumption increases the potency. But you should not eat it in large quantities, because you can get irritation of the stomach.
- The benefits of basil for women is that it is able to remove the inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system and regulate the menstrual cycle.
Methods and recipes for the use of
All of the above properties of basil are widely used in cooking, folk medicine and cosmetology.to table of contents ^
In medicineto table of contents ^
The use of tea with basil is that it is used to treat the body against rheumatism, arthritis, headaches, stressful and depressive conditions, colds. For its preparation, take 1 tablespoon of dry grass, pour 250 milliliters of boiling water. After half an hour, extract the infusion and drink 100 milliliters 3 times daily before meals. It is also useful for them to gargle and rinse the inflamed eyes.
Freshly squeezed plant juice helps to normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract and urogenital system. It is taken for 20 milliliters in the morning and in the evening after a meal, you can add to it an equal amount of honey. The course of treatment is 10 days, then a two-week break is made.
If you need to strengthen the gum and teeth, juice should be kept for 2-3 minutes in the mouth several times a day. Also they are treated by insect bites and skin diseases.to contents ^
The benefits of basil seeds are that they reduce excess weight and cholesterol in the blood, and also remove excess fluid from the body. But in order that they do not harm the body, they need to be purchased at the pharmacy and used in accordance with the instructions. Usually they are soaked for a few minutes, and then added to juices, teas, kefir or desserts.to contents ^
If you regularly rub several drops of basil ether into whiskey, and also inhale it, you can get rid of headaches, feelings of anxiety, depression and improve concentration.
From the cold
The benefits of a basil and lemon drink are its ability to quickly cure colds. To make it, you need to pour 1 teaspoon of dry raw material with a glass of boiling water and stand for 10 minutes. After that, season with lemon juice and honey.to the table of contents ^
From a headache
Rub crushed basil leaves. Green mass wrapped in gauze and apply on the temples and the back of the head.to the table of contents ^
From the common cold
In case of a runny nose, you should breathe the aroma of basil leaves or its essential oil.to table of contents ^
To wash the eyes of
15 grams of leaves or basil seeds, pour 250 ml of boiling water and insist on a water bath for about half an hour. After cooling, drain. Such a decoction can be used to wash the eyes and nose. For this, it must be diluted 1: 1 with water before use.
Bath for feet
100 grams of basil pour 3 liters of boiling water, leave for 30 minutes, filter, addhot water and take a bath for your feet for 20 minutes. This will help reduce sweating and get rid of unpleasant odor.
In general, baths with basil have a very soothing effect.to table of contents ^
Basil leaves to crush and crush into gruel. This mixture is applied to the calluses to soften them.to the table of contents ^
In cosmetology fresh basil is used as a moisturizing, rejuvenating, cleansing and toning agent for facial skin. You can also enrich any cream with a few drops of essential oil of basil.to the table of contents ^
Refreshing face tonic
To prepare a refreshing tonic for the face skin, you need to grind 2 tablespoons of fresh basil well, pour 250 ml of boiling water and insist 30 minutes. After that, the broth should be filtered and add to it 1 tablespoon of vodka.
This tonic will promote the activation of blood circulation, which in turn will lead to skin refreshment, improvement of its color. It is also suitable for purifying it from acne.to the table of contents ^
Mix two tablespoons of fresh ground basil with 1 tablespoon of sour cream. Mask to put on face for half an hour, and then wash off.
Mix a tablespoon of honey with the egg yolk and add a few drops of basil ether to them. Keep the mask on your face for 30 minutes. After washing off.to the table of contents ^
To cleanse the skin use fresh juice of the plant, they can completely wipe the face or apply to problem areas.to the table of contents ^
Rub a small amount of essential oil of basil into the roots of hair for half an hour before washing. This recipe well strengthens the hair, returns to them a healthy appearance, shine and firmness.to contents ^
Mix 1 tablespoon of dry basil and rosemary, pour in 1000 milliliters of boiling water and stir for about an hour. After the broth strain and rinse them hair.to the table of contents ^
In the cooking of
In this area, fresh and dried herbs are widely used, together with flowers and seeds. The use of basil as a seasoning is unquestionable. It is used for filling soups, salads, various side dishes from legumes, as well as meat and fish dishes, snacks from eggs and cheese.
It fits well with seafood, pasta, tomatoes, spinach, cabbage. Shredded herbs are added to the oils for sandwiches, pates and sauces. She is flavored with vegetable oil.
From other condiments to the basil, you can add rosemary, thyme, marjoram, parsley, coriander, mint and tarragon. On an industrial scale, they are flavored with sausages, canned meat and fish, and also added to some alcoholic beverages.to table of contents ^
Pesto sauce with basil
- Basil - bunch;
- Olive oil - 10 tablespoons;
- Garlic - 5 teeth;
- Parmesan cheese - 100 grams;
- Pine nuts - 50 grams;
Basil to wash and cut, garlic to peel, pine nuts to fry, cheese to rub. All the ingredients are put in a blender, season with olive oil, salt and beat.to table of contents ^
Brussels sprouts with basil
- Brussels sprouts - 500 grams;
- Cheese( solid) - 250 grams;
- Cream - 300 milliliters;
- Flour - 2 tablespoons;
- Butter - 100 grams;
- Lemon - 1 piece;
- Basil - 100 grams;
- Salt, spices.
Fry the flour in butter, add cream and grated cheese, finely chopped basil and simmer for 10 minutes. Brussels sprouts cut into inflorescences and boil for 7 minutes. After that, it should be put in sauce and put out for 5 minutes.to table of contents ^
Toast with egg and basil
- Bread - 3 slices;
- Cheese - 100 grams;
- Eggs - 3 pieces;
- Butter - 50 grams;
- Basil - 1 bunch;
- Salt, spices.
Breads should be removed from the bread and fried on both sides. Pour eggs into pieces, sprinkle them with salt, spices, grated cheese and finely chopped basil. Cover the dish with a lid and let stand for several minutes.to contents ^
Procurement and storage of
- If the greenery needs to be kept for a short time, then it can be put in a container of water, which should be changed daily. Or wash the basil, put in a container or plastic bag and send it to the refrigerator.
- In order to prepare a basil for the winter in a dried form, it should be carefully cut, preferably at the time of flowering. After that, assemble into bundles and hang in a shaded, ventilated room or simply spread the greens on clean paper. You can also use a dryer, the temperature of which should not be more than 40 degrees. After the raw material has completely dried it needs to be crushed, spread out on dry jars and closed with lids. The use and taste of dried basil persists for 2 years.
- You can freeze the spice. To do this, the collected herbs must be washed, poured with boiling water and put for a few minutes in cold water. After that, chop, spread out on bags and place in the freezer.
- In Italy, basil is popular in olive oil. For its preparation, the greens are finely chopped, folded into glass jars, poured with oil and sent to the refrigerator. In this form it can be stored for up to 3 months.
- Also, the spice can be simply cut into pieces and salted from the calculation: 100 grams of greens for 20 grams of salt.
- If you need to prepare the seeds of basil, then you must wait for them to fully ripen. After collection, they should be dried and spread on glass jars with lids or on paper bags.
Contraindications to basil consumption are:
- Cardiovascular diseases;
- Thrombosis and thrombophlebitis;
- Poor blood clotting;
- Postponed heart attacks and strokes;
- Ischemic heart disease;
- Diabetes mellitus.
It is not recommended to use the plant for food and to restore health to children under 6 years old, as well as people with individual intolerance.to table of contents ^
The use of basil oil in large doses can lead to poisoning.