Swamp grass( Labrador tea marsh) is an evergreen evergreen shrub of the Heather family, growing on swamps and in moist forests. The stems of the plant can reach 120 centimeters, recumbent, rooting, with a multitude of branches covered with frequent leaves. Roots go deeper by 40 centimeters. The bark of the old branches is bare, grayish-brown in color. The plant blooms with white or reddish flowers with a powerful intoxicating aroma.
For medicinal purposes, use only young shoots with flowers and leaves up to 10 centimeters long, which are collected during flowering from July to September. It is not recommended to harvest old perennial shoots, which managed to grow lighter. Due to the low capacity of the ledum to regenerate between the raw materials, you need to take a break for at least 8 years.
Dry grass can be dried in dryers at temperatures up to 40 ° C or under a shaded canopy, spreading it in a thin layer - in this case, drying should last 2 weeks. Preparation, drying and packaging of marsh grass should be carried out no longer than 2 hours a day, and the work itself is carried out in mittens and a respirator, since the plant is poisonous, its sharp odor can cause headaches, dizziness and nausea.
Composition and medicinal properties of
The terrestrial part of marsh grass contains:
- Essential oil( up to 7%) consists mainly of sesquiterpene alcohols, among which are geranilacetate, camphene, ice cream, limonene, palustrol, pinene, fullandren, cymole.
- Tanning and dyeing agents.
- Bicyclic alcohols.
- Glycosides( arbutin, ericoline).
- Coumarins( scopoletin, umbelliferon, fraksetin, eskuletin).
- Flavonoids( hyperoside, quercetin).
- Organic acids.
- Vitamins, including ascorbic acid.
- Macro and trace elements - aluminum, iron, iodine, potassium, calcium, cobalt, magnesium, manganese, copper, selenium, zinc, chromium.
Thanks to its rich chemical composition, marsh grass has many useful properties:
- The volatile components of the essential oil penetrate the body through the bronchi, have a mild irritant effect on the mucous membranes, increasing the activity of the epithelium of the respiratory tract and the secretion of the bronchial glands. The spasmolytic effect of the plant also affects the smooth muscles of the bronchi, which makes it possible to actively use it in diseases of the respiratory system.
- Swamp grass preparations are endowed with anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and bactericidal actions, they successfully fight with pathogenic bacteria, including cholera vibrio, Staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus, diphtheria bacillus, are used for gastritis, enterocolitis, dysentery. Douching with herbal decoction is carried out with trichomoniasis, and the use of microclysters with marsh grass promotes the excretion of helminths from the body.
- Has expectorant, vomiting, diaphoretic and diuretic activities.
- Is an antiseptic - during periods of mass infection with infectious diseases, a ledum is used for fumigation of premises. It shows bactericidal properties, even if occasionally to smell a dry leaf.
- Has a beneficial effect on the nervous system - soothes, eliminates insomnia.
- Promotes vasodilation and normalization of blood pressure, improves the functioning of the circulatory system as a whole. It is a component of many herbal remedies for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
- Due to the hemostatic, wound healing, analgesic properties, the preparations based on the Ledum are applied externally in the form of applications and baths - to treat frostbite, wounds, burns, bruises, joint diseases, allergies, scrofula, insect bites.
- Is an insecticide - damaging to insects, which is used to fumigate plants and livestock, to preserve clothing from moths, breeding bedbugs.
On the basis of marsh grass the following preparations are prepared:
- Infusion .When ingested, it is an expectorant, antitussive and bactericidal agent for whooping cough, acute or chronic bronchitis, pneumonia and other diseases accompanied by cough. Effective in the treatment of liver and gallbladder, angina, hypertension, atherosclerosis. For external use, infusion of Ledum is used for skin lesions - as lotions and compresses.
- Decoction of .It is a diaphoretic for fever, colds. It also helps with gynecological diseases, disorders in the work of the kidneys and bladder. The broth can be added to the bath, do enemas with it, syringing.
- Tea .Has a pronounced anti-asthmatic effect, helps with manifestations of dyspnea, rheumatism, promotes a sound sleep.
- Alcohol tincture .Used exclusively for external use - with stretching, injuries, joint diseases. The drug can be bought in a pharmacy or cooked at home: mix Ledum with alcohol in a 1: 5 ratio, insist in a dark place for 5-7 days.
- Tincture on vinegar .It is a means for losing weight - it strengthens metabolic processes in the body, cleans vessels of atherosclerotic plaques: 2 tablespoons of herbs pour 0.5 liters of apple or cherry vinegar( preferably home), leave in a dark cool place for 10 days, strain and drink at 1-2 teaspoons 3 times a day with meals.
- Essential oil .Used in perfumery, soap making, as a fixer - in the textile industry, combined with tar - with tanning leather. With external application has a strong irritant effect, effective for rubbing with pain sensations caused by radiculitis, neuralgia.
- Oil extraction .Used for instillation in the nose for colds, as well as for external use in skin lesions: 2 tablespoons dried flowers plant pour 100 milliliters of vegetable oil, boil for 1 minute, insist for up to 3 weeks, periodically shaking, drain.
- Ointment on animal fats .Effective in the lesions of the skin: 1 part dry grass Ledum, powder, add 5 parts of pork or goose fat, melted in a water bath, mix thoroughly. The finished product should not be stored in the refrigerator for more than 4 days.
When preparing decoctions and infusions of Ledum for use inside the daily dose of dry raw materials should not exceed 1 teaspoon. For external use, you can use more concentrated products, but not more than 1 tablespoon per day.to table of contents ^
Application in medicine
- Recipe decoction from bronchitis, pneumonia, angina : 1 teaspoon dry herbs pour 1 glass of cold water, boil for several minutes in a water bath, cool. Drink 1 tablespoon 3 times a day after meals. To treat a severe cough in children, the dose is reduced by half.
- With asthma, pulmonary tuberculosis, dyspnea, is prepared with cold infusion: 1 teaspoon of raw material, pour 400 ml of cold water and insist for 8-10 hours. Filter and take 1 tablespoon 3-4 times a day.
- As diaphoretic and diuretic for colds, flu prepare the infusion: 1 tablespoon with a hill spoonful of herbs pour 1 liter of boiling water and put in the oven for 10 hours. Drink 0.5 glasses after each meal.
- When bronchial asthma brew tea from 10 grams of herb tea and 10 grams of nettle leaves per 1 liter of boiling water. Let it brew for 30-40 minutes, filter and drink for 1 day.
- From sinusitis will help tincture oil : for 1 tablespoon dry herb tea, take 100 milliliters of sunflower or olive oil, put for 2 weeks in a dark place, every day to mix. Bury the nose 2-3 times a day.
- With eczema, acne rash , it is recommended that the application of be applied to the affected areas with an oil tincture. When rubbed into the scalp strengthens the hair, removes lice.
- For the treatment of dysbacteriosis the collection of herbs is used: Led swamp, thyme, Icelandic cetrarium - mix evenly, 1 teaspoon of mixture pour 1 glass of water, boil in a water bath for 5 minutes, strain and drink 1 tablespoon of broth after eating.
- From gout, arthritis will help tincture on vodka : 1 tablespoon with a hill spoon of herbs pour 5 tablespoons of vodka, put in a cool dark place for 1 week, squeeze out. Rinse affected areas 2-3 times a day.
Factors in which to abstain from using marsh grass are:
- Presence of diseases such as hepatitis, glomerunonephritis, pancreatitis.
- Work that requires increased concentration of attention - ledum can cause drowsiness.
- Pregnancy and lactation.
- Age under 14 years old.
In addition, the plant must be stored away from food, other herbs, exclude access to children.
Side effects of
You can only use Ledgel preparations after consulting withdoctor. Exceeding the recommended doses may lead to the following disorders:
- Excitation( in severe cases - depression) of the central nervous system - from dizziness and irritability to paralysis of the limbs, heart, respiratory tract.
- Poisoning - attacks of vomiting, diarrhea.
- Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach or intestines.
Ledum is an abortifacient, in the old days it was used to interrupt unwanted pregnancy. Therefore, taking drugs on its basis in the period of bearing a child is strictly prohibited.